When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub Case Back Opener

imajedi

"Sometimes it's not the die that is off but the replica case back.  Remember, the wrench was made to open a gen Rolex. Your die might fit a gen."

I have seen quite a few replica casebacks that were out of spec.

Otoh, I bought a set of fake Bergeon case sockets with a 'propeller' handle a while back. It came with an official looking yellow Bergeon box and fit most casebacks.

I had a funny feeling about it when a guy had it for sale for $35.

On rolex watches you are either tightening the caseback down against a thin rubber gasket or bottoming the caseback out against the case to compress the O ring. In my experience the ball will always get the caseback tight enough as long as the caseback and ball are clean and dry.

On gold cases the ball is the best way to go because one slip of a steel case socket can really mess up a gold caseback. Besides, gold case/caseback threads are very easy to strip and the ball will slip where the metal socket will not. I would guess gold case/caseback threads could be stripped with a ball if you really torqued it down though.

On pocket watches you can use a rubber glove on screw on bezels and casebacks to avoid breaking a crystal or caving the caseback in with a ball.