When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1570 Movement Parts Question

vlydog

I have been told that the 1570 movement in one of my pieces may need its hairspring and balance assembly replaced.

1) are these pieces easy to find?

2) are they a series of parts within a group or just two separate parts?

3) are there any other movements that these parts are interchangeable with?

4) Does anyone have part numbers for these parts so that I can begin my search?

Any suggestions where to start?

Thank you!

The hairspring/balance for a 1570 (no date) is sold as a complete assembly, Rolex part 8106. They are not so much rare (they are still being manufactured by Rolex), but in limited supply outside of Rolex's official service network. Prices will vary, depending on who you purchase from & whether the part is new or used, but if you search ebay & the sales listings on Rolex-related forums for a bit, you should be able to locate 1.

I looked on eBay and 1570 balances complete are going for over $400:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=rolex+parts&_osacat=0&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xbalance+wheel+rolex+parts&_nkw=balance+wheel+rolex+parts&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Imho, that's a lot of $$ for this part because you can usually find a running no date 1570 for about twice that much. For example, a local pawn shop has a ratty 1570 powered 34mm OP no date tutone with a stretched out swiss tt bracelet for $900...probably plus tax, not otd.

It's worth more for parts than as a watch in the condition it is in because it needs c/o, case tube, crown, crystal, gaskets. springbars, bracelet repair etc.

Iirc rolex watch co did not make the balance assemblies but they were made exclusively for rwc by Nivarox-FAR same as the later Clinergic 21 balance assemblies in the 3035 etc.

Thanks for all the great information and advice.

I have also consulted with a couple of sources that advise that a parts replacement is not a viable option. Apparently there are two versions of balance wheels for this movement caliber, one that runs at 18K and another that is 19.8K. It's not possible to tell from looking at a balance what speed it runs, and no one selling these balances knows for sure the actual speed.

So the odds of getting the right one that will actually fit my movement and run at the proper speed are slim.

Of course, anything is possible with vintage Rolex & high prices go hand-in-hand with the Rolex brand, but Rolex only specs 1 part number for the 1570 balance assy. So I suspect the variations you referenced are for the 1530 (the base caliber for the 157x series) & its numerous variants.

Getting another complete movement is certainly an option, but, as is the case with most used movements of unknown provenance, you are just as likely to end up needing parts for that movement as well. If your 1570 is in otherwise proper condition, were it me, I would just replace the balance assy with a NOS part.

I buggered one of mine up last night, and searched Google to find....a thread on RWG about this very topic. Funny how that works.

I'm dropping mine off in Atlanta tomorrow morning at a place that does a real nice job on vintage Rolex watches. It'll just be easier to have them do it for me.

I started looking at it...and quickly realized I didn't have the skills for the job.

This particular movement has been giving me fits anyway. I'm just going to list it on eBay and let it fly as-is. I should still be able to get 800-900 out of it. Or, I could send it in for service at a RSC and have a better movement.

I found a 1603 with a 1570 that I'm going to use the movement from. It also had the right Jubilee bracelet for my gen 1675. I'll do just fine after I part the rest of it out.

"Apparently there are two versions of balance wheels for this movement caliber, one that runs at 18K and another that is 19.8K."

All 1570 run at 19800...1530/1560 is 18000.

Be careful if you buy another movement because there are sometimes 'put togethers' on eBay etc with a 1520 or 1560 movements sporting 1570 autowind assemblies.

There are two balance staffs available depending on the collet.

"I just had a situation with a 3035 balance and ended up getting a new one and when I received it the hairspring was tangled so I had to send the damn thing back."

The 3035 is famous for three things:

Hairsprings getting hung up on the balance [censored] from being slammed or dropped.

Hairsprings coming loose from the collet (they are laser welded, the fix is a new balance complete).

Broken top autowind rotor jewels.

They are fairly fragile imho...I had one a while back on its third balance staff in a year.

They seem to keep pretty good time though.