When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Gen!

panerai153

Have you ever bought a watch, a genuine I'm referring to, and over time, you start to think "There are just a couple of things wrong with this watch that if re worked, it would be a lot better"? Folks do it all the time, they replace Cyclops crystals on vintage subs with non Cyclops crystals, folks paint the second hand tip red or yellow, etc.

So here is mine. I am a pretty big fan of a couple of small "boutique" watch companies, one being MKII, which is owned by Bill Yao in Pennsylvania. MKII produces some really outstanding homages to different Rolex models, as well as some non homage watches. Small production runs, long wait times and very popular. the second one is Ocean7, owned by Mitch Feigh. They are located in Florida, and have produced some very nice watches, probably their most noteworthy has been the  LM-7 homage to the Omega Ploprof. again small runs, and nice watches. Most of the MKII's as well as the Ocean7's have been selling new for less than 1000.00 USD, although in the past year or two, some model have gone over that price point.

About a year or so back, Ocean7 came out with a GMT with a lumed sapphire bezel insert, an ETA 2893-2 movement, at 42mm it sort of resembled at first glance a Rolex GMTII on steroids. I bought one, and have been pretty satisfied with it, however there were a couple of things that have bugged me from the day the FedEx truck dropped it off. One it has Sword hands, which I have never been particularly fond of, and the other is the crystal. It's slightly domed, but it sits very low and is actually below the rim of the bezel. I liked the lume, although the hands glowed much brighter than the rest of the lume.

After wrestling with what to do, I got in touch with Mike (MD2020) and asked him what he could do. He needed to look at the watch before he could make any predictions, so I sent it up to him. After taking it apart, he and I decided that the hand swap to Mercedes hands would be easy. He also recommended painting the entire GMT hand red, rather than just having a red point. Unfortunately, the crystal proved to be a daunting problem. We were never able to find a Sapphire crystal thick enough to significantly alter the crystal placement. We could have substituted a deeper domed acrylic crystal, but that would have required gluing the crystal in place, and Mike couldn't guarantee that it would be water tight with that arrangement. I decided after several months of searching that the crystal change was not going to happen, so we gave up on that. I would still love to find a really thick domed crystal, but they are probably not made in the size that would fit this watch. It would require a crystal of at least 3.5-4.0 mm to give it enough height to be above the bezel insert. I would expect that anything that thick in a sapphire crystal would be pretty pricy as well.

So here are the before and after photos of the frankengen LM-5

Before:

post-327-0-30619800-1376170482_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-54677800-1376170493_thumb.jpg

The lume on the hands glows much brighter than the numbers and insert

post-327-0-42223700-1376170472_thumb.jpg

From this angle you  can see how deep the crystal sits below the bezel

post-327-0-66664900-1376170506_thumb.jpg

After:

post-327-0-85403500-1376170724_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-80640400-1376170743_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-68725100-1376170704_thumb.jpg

Great job, I agree the all red gmt hand is perfect, I liked the original sword hands but the Mercedes hands are cool. The insert is very rounded, I think a flatter insert would correct the crystal problem. Like a blancpain insert, if yours was flat like this the crystal would sit flush or may even be slightly above it.. Food for thought

post-38788-0-54394800-1376172345_thumb.j

Not sure any if those inserts would fit, this watch is considerable bigger than the Rolex GMT's. I believe it's 42mm.i've got a couple of inserts that fit my 6542, I'll look at them tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure they are too small.

Not sure any if those inserts would fit, this watch is considerable bigger than the Rolex GMT's. I believe it's 42mm.i've got a couple of inserts that fit my 6542, I'll look at them tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure they are too small.

Oh ok I thought it may have been around the same size. I know Daz has lots of experience flattening and working the dsn blancpain inserts, maybe he can take the one you have and flatten it somehow

Either way it looks great, was just a thought fix your crystal height issue