When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1014 into a Gilt 1016?

CptTripps

So I've got a gen 1014 with a 1560 movement. I had an idea yesterday to maybe make a gold 1016 out of it. The 1014 case is nearly identical to the 1016, but gold capped.

With a gilt 1016 dial, it could look pretty cool. So the question is...

Was there ever a gold 1016?

I did a quick search, and I couldn't find a gold cased 1016, saw a couple of steel versions with gilt dials though. Since this was sold as a sport watch, I kind of doubt that it came in a gold version, but I really don't know for sure.

No, a 1016 Explorer never existed in gold. However there are earlier, more dressier Explorers.

The 6098 for example has no Explorer text on it, however it is considered to be the Mt. Everest watch since Dr. Charles Evans wore that watch when he tried to reach the summit in early 1953, a few weeks later

the famous Mr. Norgay and Mr. Hillary reached the summit of Mount Everest they had a 6098 on their wrists as well.

The 6098 exists in gold with the so called star dial with a black or white dial, one with a black dial was auctioned for $300k.