When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Franken TC

clem2192

Guys,

I am considering a Super Franken Sub 16610 project using TC mid-case as my starting point, however I have a question with regards to movement.

Obviously the period correct movement would be the cal. 3135 (which I know that the TC case can house without modification) but does the cal. 3035 movements seem easier to obtain.

Does the TC case house the cal 3035 movement without modification ?? I know that the 3135 and 3035 have the same diameter but the 3035 is slightly thicker than the 3135 so would there be issuse with the stem position or hands rubbing on the crystal ??

Cheers

Ryan

Don't build it like my 16613!!! Make a budget and price all your parts on the high side What I believe you will find that when you factor in using all gen parts, movement, dial, bezel/ insert, crown/ tube, you are going to find that the sum total of all the parts is going to be very close to the cost of a genuine.

The 3035 may actually run more expensive to use as it will most definitely need a service to run. Make notes to build a franken first then look for a proper movement to upgrade later. Easiest and simplest way to start. Yields a really nice watch as well as satisfy the "need". Who knows, after you're done you may change your mind entirely.

I can agree with the above recommendations to create a build list with parts prices.  You'll be surprised what these builds can run if you're not careful.  Everyone has a rule of thumb on the budget of their builds. My personal rule is to never exceed 1/3 the cost of the gen.  Thats the very high end of course.  I try and stay with 1/4 the price of the gen.  Figure out what you want to build and plan the parts build and associated costs.  You'll be glad you did.  

Thanks for the comments guys, I have so far sourced gen dial, hands, crown, crystal and insert. I think the only other thing that I would like is a cal. 3135 movement.

I think I am going to build the watch with TC dial, hands and 2824.2 movement and only gen crystal & insert for now, that should give me a watch that will keep me satisfied for a while whilst I am sourcing a gen movement and dont ruin the dial.

I am looking to spend circa. £2k inc movement on this project.

The price of the movements plus a service puts you very close to a complete gen 14060. Why not just buy the gen?

The y3135 movement with a service is a very sensible choice and all gen parts fit with exception of the gen date disc, which has to be reduced in diameter slightly.

I prefer the sub date TBH, also these seem to go for around £3k. 

My budget for the 16610 is circa. £2k. I know that I am not going full super franken without the bezel etc but thats good enough for me. Plus I already have a majority of the parts I want for the 16610 build and still approx £1k cheaper.

I did consider the Yuki 3135 clone but after reading the sticky review it looks as though its hit and miss with regards to encountering problems. Do these come up for sale recently serviced often ??

The y3135 is for sale on yuki's site. Send the movement to someone that knows what they are doing and you'll be fine. I have had three movements serviced with no issues and currently running strong. One on the watch I am currently wearing with no issues for the past year. Loosing/gaining 5 seconds or much less on average. Even the gen stem fits with no issues.

I'm just still not convinced with a Yuki movement.

I think I'll build it with ETA movement and TC dial & hands for now and see if I can source a 3135 at a bargain price at a later date.

Will store the gen dial & hands for now.

I would dearly love a gen movement .....

The y3135 is for sale on yuki's site. Send the movement to someone that knows what they are doing and you'll be fine. I have had three movements serviced with no issues and currently running strong. One on the watch I am currently wearing with no issues for the past year. Loosing/gaining 5 seconds or much less on average. Even the gen stem fits with no issues.

I thought these movements were out of stock?  

Did not know. Well, it's a waiting game now.

TC's 2824 is not a bad choice at all. I have it on a TC sub I built using all of his parts except for a BigCrown crystal and gen gaskets and insert/pearl and crown. So far the movement is rock steady and the hand stack has the correct height. Not noisy either, which is a big plus.