When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thieving Scum!

fraggle42

Had just sat down to dinner when there was a quite young, nice police woman ringing the doorbell.

Answered it wondering "I didn't go that much over the speed limit yesterday did I?" To be told "We've found your bike, it's been dumped and burned out.".

Queue me going "Uh? WTF? My bikes are here?" Followed by a check, new bike - in garage, KTM trail bike - in garage, Yamaha Tenere, missing.

Balls.

It's not that great a hit, it's insured, I was selling it as I've just got the new bike, and I'd removed all extras from it the previous weekend.

Means I'll have to refund the chap who has bought it and argue with the insurance assessor about the bikes value, and I'll lose the excess (£550).

And the insurance premium will go up for the next 5 years.

Not what I need in the middle of a holiday (well, spend a week bumming around the house and friends type of holiday)

Extra locks and other measures will be installed. Google "poachers alarm"...

Sorry to hear the sad news. To avoid a repeat (in addition to an alarm), you need kryptonite frame locks affixing the bike to something immovable in the garage. Certainly, not a panacea, but the miscreants would require some serious toolage (to cut through kryptonite) to be successful next time.

No idea who nicked it. Which is lucky for them as I'd happily pay friends I know to break multiple limbs.

The door they broke in through has given me problems, the wood expands in winter and shrinks in summer, even though it was supposed to be kiln dried, so the gap between them gets bigger in summer and its not brilliantly secure. I think I'll get a load of angle iron, weld it into two squares and put the slightly cut down doors in them so they've got a solid frame that won't change size, can then install the new lock properly, plus bolts top and bottom.

It's a sad commentary to our society when you have to build a bank vault to store your possessions in. The sadder commentary is the thugs that steal because they are too lazy or stupid to find or hold a job, when caught, usually are back on the street before the police finish all the paperwork.

Sucks man! I went through that two years ago when the less than 1k miles Kawasaki 600r was stolen from under my apartment. Wheel lock in front disc and still taken away. Two months of fighting over the phone with an adjuster who swore I sold the bike for "street value" right after I invested 2k in pipes and chipping. Sucks.

Krypto makes a really nice floor anchor to which you pass their chain through and secure the bike to the chassis/frame that way.

If you have you own garage or parking lot space, you're golden. I had to get a permit for drilling the garage floor, but once done, the 4 18" bolts I put in with lead anchors plus the 1/2" plate and steel loop was not going anywhere. Looks decent and out of the way and does what it needs to do. Good luck brother

It's a sad commentary to our society when you have to build a bank vault to store your possessions in. The sadder commentary is the thugs that steal because they are too lazy or stupid to find or hold a job, when caught, usually are back on the street before the police finish all the paperwork.

Pan, the sad thing is that I told the police about all of the finger prints left behind by the thieves, including cigarette butts and a dirty rag(I had just come out of surgery an it was a stormy night so the neighbors were all locked in their little boxes) and the cop straight out told me that they don't do that. They do not finger print, not collect evidence on bikes. That week alone five bikes were stolen on a mile radius.

Crime is only stopped when it is important enough was what I gathered.

No idea who nicked it. Which is lucky for them as I'd happily pay friends I know to break multiple limbs.

The door they broke in through has given me problems, the wood expands in winter and shrinks in summer, even though it was supposed to be kiln dried, so the gap between them gets bigger in summer and its not brilliantly secure. I think I'll get a load of angle iron, weld it into two squares and put the slightly cut down doors in them so they've got a solid frame that won't change size, can then install the new lock properly, plus bolts top and bottom.

If you have the tooling do it brother. Plus it will help with the insurance once completed.

What a bummer mate, had a bike nicked from my office car park a few years ago, cops found it abandoned 2 years later, I had to pay £80 to get it released only to find it completely knackared and needing £600 spending to get it back on the road. I hope the insurance comes through for you, however with your excess your going to take a massive hit I guess. Scumbags.

Thanks all.

I've got a double garage and a bike garage on the side (between mine and the neightbours garage so brick on two sides, wooden doors to the front and open at the back).

Thing is garage locks are the most pathetic security device known to man, bar a chocolate padlock in hell.

Just fitting extra bolts to both halves of the bike garage door top and bottom and a plate over the latch. All with obvious huge security bolts going through the door to let the scrotes know it's bolted and locked all round.

I'll put a back door on the bike garage too, so for the meantime the other bikes are going in the garage with car touching the front of garage door so it cannot be opened. Also got locks for bottom of the garage door both sides of both doors. And 4 security lights all round. (got three at the moment but decided to replace them with LED ones that use far less power)

What makes me angry is why the hell should we have to even have a lock at all? Screw forgiveness, let me bash their brains out with one of the padlocks I've just bought and get rid of a little part of the problem.

Anyway, a delivery from Australia has just brightened my day up no end! Just about to post pics of the new aquisition in the Daily thread :)