When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 Project pics of Case Mods added

preacher62

Guys,

I am trying to make a believable 1655 out of Josh's cartel base. I have extensively modified the case and it is looking hhmmmm...fairly believable. I am beginning to feel everyone's frustration of building a 1655.

My current problem is that I have purchased the Ingod44 Mk 1 bezel and am using a Clark 25-116 crystal. The crystal just pushes through he bezel with no effort. The crystal fits the case perfectly.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and what is a reasonable fix. Is there a crystal with thicker side walls that might work. We're talk about fraction of a mm here.

Thanks!

I think you may have an ingod service bezel there which are too big, if you can post a picture i'll confirm it for you. I'd like to have a look at your case too if possible. If you really want a good correct flat top 4's bezel then you will need to use either an ndtrading, phong or MQ one, but they're not cheap! Better option is to see if ingod will do you a deal on his complete case set which does come with a really good bezel ironically enough :fool: 

might also what to consider using the GMT parts from the 2836-2 in the watch and transfer them to a 2846 therefore creating a slowbeat movement, also you'd need to remove the gearing that controls the adjustable 24hr hand if you wanted it to function  as per the gen. Remove the hacking lever if the dial is meant to be pre 1973 too.

Cheers DH

I made a mistake.  I was pushing the crystal through the bezel off the watch.  When I placed the crystal on the watch case the bezel pressed down perfectly.  I guess thee case expands the crystal just a little.

Here is the case.  It is unsanded, unpolished...generally unfinished.  I think that all the cutting is over.  I cut down both side and the "saddle" on either side of the CGs.

The biggest problem is that it starts out as a 40mm case with a dial of 27.5mm.  The Ingod44 dial is 26.5mm.  Problem...I think.  I purchased the white dial with the watch and I am pretty happy with it.  The spacing in "Oyster Perpetual Date" is wrong, but there just aren't that many of this reference in the wild.  There's not going to be anyone around me to compare it.  Anyway, when asked, I always start by saying, "Well, I have a really strange hobby..."  I don't try to pass them off as gen.  My datejusts are all gen but the movement and hands, but when someone asks me if it's real, I say, "Mostly," and then explain.

100_3512_zps5101a5c4.jpg

100_3513_zpsb93add35.jpg

100_3514_zpse45417a2.jpg

100_3515_zpsa3e1fdef.jpg

100_3516_zpscab3f740.jpg

100_3517_zpscd49f074.jpg

By the Way...  This is the gen model that I was using.  I have found at least three and maybe more, case styles for the 1655.  I'd like to find a straight, white second hand like this one.

1655Dial_zpseb833c48.jpg

I made a mistake.  I was pushing the crystal through the bezel off the watch.  When I placed the crystal on the watch case the bezel pressed down perfectly.  I guess thee case expands the crystal just a little.

Here is the case.  It is unsanded, unpolished...generally unfinished.  I think that all the cutting is over.  I cut down both side and the "saddle" on either side of the CGs.

The biggest problem is that it starts out as a 40mm case with a dial of 27.5mm.  The Ingod44 dial is 26.5mm.  Problem...I think.  I purchased the white dial with the watch and I am pretty happy with it.  The spacing in "Oyster Perpetual Date" is wrong, but there just aren't that many of this reference in the wild.  There's not going to be anyone around me to compare it.  Anyway, when asked, I always start by saying, "Well, I have a really strange hobby..."  I don't try to pass them off as gen.  My datejusts are all gen but the movement and hands, but when someone asks me if it's real, I say, "Mostly," and then explain.

100_3512_zps5101a5c4.jpg

100_3513_zpsb93add35.jpg

100_3514_zpse45417a2.jpg

100_3515_zpsa3e1fdef.jpg

100_3516_zpscab3f740.jpg

100_3517_zpscd49f074.jpg

By the Way...  This is the gen model that I was using.  I have found at least three and maybe more, case styles for the 1655.  I'd like to find a straight, white second hand like this one.

1655Dial_zpseb833c48.jpg

Congratulations of your case modding so far,looking good. Here's a couple of pictures of where I am so far. I aimed to create the up turn on the undersides of the CG's you get on the 1655 and the 1675. On the ingod case it's a bit easier too remove material as you have the ridge on the undersde as per Gen to work too. 

Cheers DH

post-12988-0-63919100-1377938968_thumb.j

post-12988-0-51548900-1377938986_thumb.j

post-12988-0-05194000-1377939012_thumb.j