When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Three ruby, two ruby, one ruby...

automatico

Ruby as in 1575GMT calendar spacers that is...

I have a 1575 with all the parts to make a 1575GMT except one...the calendar spacer, been looking two years for one.

I was wrong. I do have the calendar spacer.

Say what?

The spacer I have has only one ruby jewel and everyone (including me until a while back) knows/believes that 1575GMT calendar spacers have three jewels.

Not so. Mine has one ruby jewel just like the one now for sale on eBay, item number 171091291997.

I measured a regular opd etc calendar spacer and it is .79mm, call it .8mm thick. Then I measured my one jewel spacer that came with the GMT parts...it is .99mm thick, call it 1mm.

So...some GMT calendar spacers have one jewel and some have three.

If you use a non-GMT calendar ring, make sure you fully test the date function before assembly. As I found out (the hard way) during my Phase 2 '42 construction, the depth of the datewheel channel in the calendar rings vary between the GMT & standard versions of the 1036. When I used the standard calendar ring on the 1036GMT, the date stuck @ changeover. Not sure if the same holds true for the 15xxGMT, but if you use a non-GMT calendar ring & the date sticks................... ;)

"...if you use a non-GMT calendar ring & the date sticks................... ;)"

True. I will try the spacer after I get a couple AK projects knocked out...1002 AK ss made qtr I 1964 (1560) with Yuki matte black/white explorer style dial and 5501 AK tutone made qtr III 1962 (1530) with Yuki matte black/'gilt' explorer style dial...whatever 'gilt' means now.

The original dials were badly refinished years ago and the watches have been in my 'fixit' drawer since 1998. I held on to them because they do not have any case corrosion.

(I used to know what 'gilt' was before the geniuses at VRF decided to change the definition.)    :prop:

Since the GMT spacer is 1mm thick compared to the regular .8mm spacer, it should work. The thicker spacer raises the date wheel above the 24 hour parts and the relief where the date wheel rides in the spacer is the same.