When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BP DSSD first impression and issues

Smab

Hello dear Community. I just received my new BP DSSD. This is the latest release with better (bigger) hour markers, better ceramic bezel inlay and better overall finished bracelet (supposedly).

Since I already own a Noob DSSD (v5, v6 or something) with a Sellita movement (400 USD ish), this time I picked up the cheapie, with the new breed A2813 High Beat movement. Got it at a bargain, with free freight for 218 USD.

Since I have not found any review of this BP DSSD as of yet, I will try make one my self. This is not the review, only a first impression and ask for advice post.

First impression - this looks way better than the older noob version! The overall finish is way better, especially the finish of the bracelet and clasp. The watch and the bracelet has a very nice sheen to it, almost like a GEN. And the pearl is near spot-on, as well as the bezel inlay markers! The sapphire appears to be near in alignment with the bezel inlay, and looks like it is much thicker than the one on the noob. It also looks to be more domed. The dial looks to be "deeper" down in the case, as if the overall rehaut is higher/deeper than the noob version. Imo it looks more realistic as a "3900m" diver.

If this is true to the GEN, I do not know, but perhaps. Only side by side comparison can reveal.

Also the dial appears bigger, because of the deeper rehaut and the larger hour markers.

Secondly comes the but's.. it appears as a "too-good-to-be-true beautiful woman"!

Almost like the old Alfa Romeos, if some of you have knowledge of such - very beautiful, but unreliable like hell!

It seems the glidelock lever and clasp has an issue. The glidelock lever pops open with the slighest vibrations, like when you ride your offroad bicycle on a bumpy dirt road. It does not seem to keep in place.

Also if you pull the bracelet slightly, you are able to pull the glidelock lever open.

This is not very good, I reckon it is a production flaw, perhaps it is fixable (someone have any advice???)

Also the caseback teeth and engraving is not very good. So, the watch is very nice, but the flaws are not visible at first sight, almost like in a Alfa Romeo or a beautiful woman you may have met at the wrong place:-)

Also, the locking clasp itself is loose, almost like it is not firm enough to stay put in the spring bar it is attached. So it comes loose every time I open it.

Major bracelet issues (clasp issues)!

Third impression: the movement has major issues. The second day I wore it, it just stopped, almost like the PR had not gained during my first day of wearing. So I wound it and it started again.

The third night, it seemed to have stopped, but the second hand was still running!

Only the minute hand and hour hand had stopped, 13 minutes before midnight!

What kind of **it movement is this? I have never before encountered a movement that still runs, but where the hour and minute hand has stopped!

I am not crazy about sending it back, but I will experiment with the crown down, face up, or some other position during the night, to see if this occurs again. It runs fine now.

On the other hand, it should be possible to fix or replace the glidelock and clasp assembly, the bracelet is otherwise very nice indeed.

Edited by Smab
  • Like 1

Oh, I forgot to answer - as you can see by the pics, at least from the edge of the DW, the dial appears somewhat semi-glossy. But, from what I have heard, there are several versions of the GEN dial. Both matte and glossy, and with different fonts on the writing.

The dealer is one of our TD. I will not reveal, since I have unadressed issues. But this item is carried by several of our trusted dealers.

Edited by Smab

72d4a5ce.jpgOne other seek of advice: I reckon you can tell by the pictures, the HE valve is not recessed as it should be on this BP model (above is a pic of a GEN). Pics from dealers sites, show recessed HE valve, as per GEN. Mine is more or less opposite, sticking outside of the edge of the watch case. Any easy fix?

Luckily, the QC pics did not show this particular part of the watch, or else I might have rejected it.

Edited by Smab

• 2 weeks later...