When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Wierd problem with Explorer II

Guest REPPIN

OK, 

So here's the story. 

Get my explorer II back from repair. The thing works great for a day. Then the rotor starts making wierd noises like its spinning and grinding on the caseback. 

I screw the caseback off to find this!!!

post-8024-0-41951200-1379431416_thumb.jp

The whole plate has come off. SO...I put it back on, screw it down tight and it seemed to be working great. 

HOWEVER, now I have this other problem. The power reserve only lasts about an hour or two after I wear the watch. If i keep wearing it, it will run great forever. However, as soon as I set it down for an hour it dies. 

Also, the manual winder on the crown doesn't work...it just clicks loudly, but doesn't wind the watch. And now the rotor makes a clicking noise every 2 or 3 revolutions. 

WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS???

Either the auto-wind module was assembled incorrectly or its energy is not being transferred to the 1st wheel (winding barrel).

You need to ease the auto-wind module down onto the movement to be sure the wheels mate properly. Otherwise, you will get what you got. 1st, remove the auto-wind module & manually wind the crown to be sure it is (now) operating correctly. If it is, carefully reinstall the auto-wind module. Once installed, gently revolve the rotor with a clean pencil eraser (or something similar) & make sure you see some movement at the barrel. If not, you will need to delve further to see whether the problem is within the module or the way it is mating onto the movement.

• Like 1

Either the auto-wind module was assembled incorrectly or its energy is not being transferred to the 1st wheel (winding barrel).

You need to ease the auto-wind module down onto the movement to be sure the wheels mate properly. Otherwise, you will get what you got. 1st, remove the auto-wind module & manually wind the crown to be sure it is (now) operating correctly. If it is, carefully reinstall the auto-wind module. Once installed, gently revolve the rotor with a clean pencil eraser (or something similar) & make sure you see some movement at the barrel. If not, you will need to delve further to see whether the problem is within the module or the way it is mating onto the movement.

Thanks So much! I will take it down tonight and see what I can figure out.