When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lume color on a PAM 029 GMT

Cats

Soon my PAM 029 GMT will be relumed by Domi. I don't wear my PAM cause i hate the Hulk Hogan kinda lume color. Does anyone know the right mix of lume in prder to get the gen like color of lume.

Thanks in advance.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As with any PAM its a secret recipe... by OP :)

But to recreate it you would be looking at a C3 and C1 mix...with a heavier ratio of C3... Domi uses RCTritec lume an he knows better than most mate about how the mix works in terms of ratio...

But given that you are trying to create that L creamyness.... I would think around 66 to 33 ish ... as a starting point

How  bad  your 029  stock lume was :huh: , any pictures?

I have 029, yes it is greenish.... but not like "HH" like IMHO

orig_28360985_CR1b.jpg

Depends of light.... here it is more  like cream color

orig_28356671_TVj8.jpg

I bought it used and after heavy refurbishing it is very nice piece

And here is gen picture from internet.... lume is almost same...

( BTW  this gen is also IMHO already refurbished. Picture was taken was from  gen forum FS topic.... case, bezel and CG corners are not sharp anymore, they are more rounded)

DSC_6465.jpg

Edited by sul

The great and the bad thing for pics I guess/maybe /sort of...is how sensitive gen PAM lume is to light...whether its full on DL or just from a distant source..the lume will be effected ..add to that the varying camera influences that pics bring and you have a hotch potch of variables....

You are right these are a creamy lume.... the C1 is white.... the C3 is a beigey/creamy almost natural lume..uncharged

But when charged you get the green...so just a hint of natuarl light or even some artificial light from a distance will make that lume luminate....

I used to play around with the gen lume and take pics of how you could capture that change through the dial by sitting it across 2-3 light sources.... rubberly !!

The real trick is recognising the quality of the pic and filtering out the artificial tones it creates...there is only one guy I know that does that well in the case of PAM pics and thats W0lf...

Other than that I would never rely on a pic to judge anything about a PAM...a guidance yes...but never a standfast rule... :)

I will try to digg up some old pictures from my 029. At the moment the watch head is at

Domi's place. Judging by the pictures that you posted it seems that your 029 is less greenish then mine but it could also be a matter of lighting of the picture.

If i can find some pics i will post them tonight.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDm

The great and the bad thing for pics I guess/maybe /sort of...is how sensitive gen PAM lume is to light...whether its full on DL or just from a distant source..the lume will be effected ..add to that the varying camera influences that pics bring and you have a hotch potch of variables....

You are right these are a creamy lume.... the C1 is white.... the C3 is a beigey/creamy almost natural lume..uncharged

But when charged you get the green...so just a hint of natuarl light or even some artificial light from a distance will make that lume luminate....

I used to play around with the gen lume and take pics of how you could capture that change through the dial by sitting it across 2-3 light sources.... rubberly !!

The real trick is recognising the quality of the pic and filtering out the artificial tones it creates...there is only one guy I know that does that well in the case of PAM pics and thats W0lf...

Other than that I would never rely on a pic to judge anything about a PAM...a guidance yes...but never a standfast rule... :)

Yes you are right, light is everything and play`s a great roll.

But if you can`t tell major difference from pictures,  it means usually that in real life  lume tonal difference between gen and rep are  not very  noticeable also. And for me it is IMHO pointless thinking for re-luming, but it is just me:)

For perfect rep, maybe yes, relume will help. Only there is no guarantee that atfer relume lume is 1: 1 as gen, it can be maybe better

(or not) but still off some way...

'

Edit: ok, if Cats version is more green and off, then yes, reluming will be helpful:)

Edited by sul

Yes you are right, light is everything and play`s a great roll.

But if you can`t tell major difference from pictures,  it means usually that in real life  lume tonal difference between gen and rep are  not very  noticeable also. And for me it is IMHO pointless thinking for re-luming, but it is just me:)

For perfect rep, maybe yes, relume will help. Only there is no guarantee that atfer relume lume is 1: 1 as gen, it can be maybe better

(or not) but still off some way...

'

Edit: ok, if Cats version is more green and off, then yes, reluming will be helpful:)

Thats a different discussion though mate...and basically I agree.... I certainly wouldnt bother with a 29 relume... well not on any of them I have seen... :)

The bigger issue for me when reluming isnt so much the colour as we have said variables are too much ..however what is more obvious is the smoothness of the lume..beit it rep or gen

thats all in application and machine.... modders dont use the machine (stylograph) they hand apply..so you get this roughness (for want of a better word) to the finished lume as well as others issues..height, shape etc etc

A 29 dial is a little different again to the norm of rep PAM dial as in the lume sits up and on the markers sausage style not gangyang but sausage style... :)

If the colour was there or there abouts then I would not give up that paste/smooth look to the lume...

Indeed thats is exactly why I dont lume some reps... even though they are crying out for it.... a good example is the Sinn..... the markers are almost flat and smooth on rep and gen...any after market lume always sits high and slightly off square... so you lose that gen look in daylight....if you know what i mean

Its the same to a degree with PAMs or certain PAMs....I would rather keep the rep lume because of how it looks uncharged than I would to try and make it more SL or longer lasting or perhaps even closer to gen....

Because even gen lume is done in batches....it is done by different lumers on different days/months using different or slightly variable lume mixes... so you will even see small variations in the gen lume and markers etc...

So that rep lume certainly on the better reps isnt worth worrying too much about given the smoothness of the lume compared to hand applied... :)

Hope that makes sense :)

all gen pams with a whitish lume color is standard  C3.

C3 is whitish cream and gets its greenish tint in this moment when day and sunlight comes on the indices.

rc tritec never mixed for costomers the C3 with C1.  this is a fantasy statement.

automatic dials have mostly a basic print with the small minute markers and th marker und numeral print for the later lume material screen print on top of the with peint.

the white paint print on the dial is only for a better lume power effect, because the rc tritec lume materials are developed for a white basic paint print for the lume marker.

rc tritec coated a very small part, they are mainly developer of lume material based on the pantone colors,  a partner company in swizzerland coated the lume material,

which is 95 % of all watch brands and models and versions, no watch brands company can the complete new collection handle, so this swiss company makes only the lume coating job, day by day.

so......again so long as i read , gen watches or pams are lumed with a mix of C3 + C1  is totally nonsense.

keep it in your mind

by the way,  i only use for dials for C-serie and later serie only C3 in High Grade-A Quality super luminosity, like the gen once, and it is mixed with high glossy or semi glossy varnish from rc-tritec.  varnish = semi matt A60 or high glossy A62, all the varnishes from rc tritec are special developed for the work with their lume materials.

rolli

Thank you guys for your input on the lume on my 029 or how it should be.

I will tell Domi that he can read the opinion of the RWG community on the lume issue.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

029B serie is 1000 percent C3 with high glossy Varnish.

here some genuine pix of the 029M = C3 with high glossy Varnish ( Varnish is A62 )

he should order the original from rc tritec in quality grade-A ( 1 gram  = € 59,-- incl shipping costs and VAT )

unfortunately Domi has an dosing machine with an injection for the lume work,

the problem is, he has to put in the injection too much mixed C3/varnish, minimum 3 - 4 grams,

if he had the very expensive stylograph from rc tritec, than he could fill in the hand piece only 1 gram or lesser.

the most dialmaker have also the dosing machine with the injection and needle for lume work,

and that's why the eat the lume minimum several grams, was always too expensive.

now i have the possibility to get it with the stylograph.

domi should buy a stylograph hand piece.

rolli

post-2837-0-00855400-1381318903_thumb.jp  post-2837-0-37771600-1381318913_thumb.jp  post-2837-0-91682600-1381318922_thumb.jp

fom C-serie the pure lume material was C3 from rctritec,

the varnish could be different, some c-serie have matt varnish mixed, some with slightly glossy,

from d-serie all lume mixes were matt.

today i heard also the 061 gen has matt indices.

note: C3 is the standard lume on  all watch brands,  onyl some newer watch models and versions from the last 3 years have rctritec its old radium as lume material inside.

old radium grade-A based with super luminova with a beige brownish tint.

rolli