When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What should I do?

johnnygtr

I have made my first purchase from one of the TD's.  I am happy with the watch cosmetically, but the watch doesn't keep time.  It loses several minutes every hour and stops frequently.  I emailed the seller and he sent the following response:

You can try to wind up via the crown about 30-40 rounds clockwise and tap HARD against your palm. It should be able to work OK.
If not, please email me back and we will advise you. thanks
**Winding up manually via the crown will help to wear down oil clots. Thanks

I did as he suggested and the time-keeping HAS improved, although still loses time.  My question is do you guys think the watch will "work in' and start to perform better or should I carry on with the seller for another solution.  My concern is if he offers to replace it, will I get something in worse shape?  I assume this watch could work well if I get it serviced, although that will have to wait due to low funds. 

Oh one more thing, while the watch is sitting overnight on my nightstand, it keeps perfect time.  The problem seems to exist only while I'm wearing it.
The rep is a Rolex 16613 (I promise I never asked the forum who had the best Sub)

Which movement?

If it is a ETA (Swiss or Asian) sounds like it needs a service. It could be, like the dealer suggested, a simple issue of a snagged hair spring but even so a service is what the movements in these reps need to run well. The winding and hand tapping is a cheap attempt at a fix if that's the case, however it could also be a good way to screw up your movement.

Read around and you'll see that the reps use the cheapest, dirtiest and often quality rejected movements that are a available to the maker.

Wear the watch for a week, only removing it for a shower each day etc, and keep an eye on its performance.  If still no better, or even if worse, then I would say the choice you need to make is either get it serviced, or risk sending it back to China.  I personally would avoid the latter.

If you like the watch and intend to keep it,mother just find a local watchsmith and have it serviced. Then you'll be safe in the knowledge that it should run fine for many more years to come.

Wear the watch for a week, only removing it for a shower each day etc, and keep an eye on its performance.  If still no better, or even if worse, then I would say the choice you need to make is either get it serviced, or risk sending it back to China.  I personally would avoid the latter.

Shower???!!!!....... each day!!??? My god man are you OCD or something !!!????

Once a year on my birthday...never done me no harm...... now I must away to the chemists for some derma cream !!.... always walk as I cant take a taxi they wont let me get in it !! ;)

Once a day !!??   Mad!! Mad!!... I tell you !!!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking.  Sending it back to China seems like a risk, especially when I am mostly happy with the watch.  I read quite a bit before I purchased and was prepared for this (while still hoping to get lucky).  I will wear it for a week as SSTEEL suggested.  I think getting it serviced needs to happen even if the performance improves.  

BTW the movement is a "New Breed Asian 2813".  When looking for a local watchsmith, is that what I should tell him?

Edited by johnnygtr

Finding a watchsmith that will not snitch is not an easy feat especially in Europe. More and more difficult to find one who likes to repair watches and knows enough without going to call or ask the watchmaker helpdesk..... :help: . I miss my old watsmith who was not scared to open any watch and get dirty.

If you can't find a watchmaker to service your rep, can you find one that would just service the movement and then just disassemble/assemble everything yourself. He doesn't have to know where the movement came from or what watch it was in.

Asian 2813 !

Dont bother doing a service mate..... cheaper to replace it... anything from $10 - $30...

These are or acn be the best or the worst of Chinese movements... but servicing aint worth the money or the trouble...

TBH if I was getting it swappped I would go 2836...

Asian 2813 !

Dont bother doing a service mate..... cheaper to replace it... anything from $10 - $30...

These are or acn be the best or the worst of Chinese movements... but servicing aint worth the money or the trouble...

TBH if I was getting it swappped I would go 2836...

+1, 2813's are cheap, just buy a new one from Cousins, Ofrei or eBay. Although "New Breed 2813" may refer to a high beat version? Not sure how easy those are to find. A swap to a 2836 will complicate things, the dial feet won't match up and will have to be removed, the hands won't fit, you may need a new movement retaining ring, etc.

• 2 months later...

Just received my FC Diver and had the same issue.  Dealer had an identical response, I'm assuming its the same guy.  however my movement is a 2824.  I'm about 4 days into my week trial period before i make any decisions about what to do.

I would just as soon replace the movement with one i dont need to think about everytime i look down at this otherwise gorgeous watch.

Just received my FC Diver and had the same issue. Dealer had an identical response, I'm assuming its the same guy. however my movement is a 2824. I'm about 4 days into my week trial period before i make any decisions about what to do.

I would just as soon replace the movement with one i dont need to think about everytime i look down at this otherwise gorgeous watch.

likely to cost you about $100 more or less for a basic service.

A new 2824 would cost at least $100 for an clone (likely in need of a service just like the one you have) or about $200 or more for an Swiss ETA (likely in need of service aswell).

The point is most of the suggested things to do with a rep start with a service. It's like an oil change for your car but for your watch.

likely to cost you about $100 more or less for a basic service.

A new 2824 would cost at least $100 for an clone (likely in need of a service just like the one you have) or about $200 or more for an Swiss ETA (likely in need of service aswell).

The point is most of the suggested things to do with a rep start with a service. It's like an oil change for your car but for your watch.

Thanks for the tip!  now i just need to find a local watchsmith with questionable ethics lol.

TC 2824s are $135 or so and don't need a service IIRC.

thanks fraggle.  I read TC's comparison of the TC2824 and ETA 2824.  I would consider getting one if I knew what I was doing.....but I don't.  Date wheels, calibration, I would probably be the first person ever to make a watch explode with no flammable qualities or ignition source.

thanks fraggle. I read TC's comparison of the TC2824 and ETA 2824. I would consider getting one if I knew what I was doing.....but I don't. Date wheels, calibration, I would probably be the first person ever to make a watch explode with no flammable qualities or ignition source.
Heh, I wasn't thinking of a DIY job. If an Asian movement is $100 + service $100 + fitting $25 = $225 TC movement $135 + fitting $50 = $185 So it'll save you a chunk of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, I wasn't thinking of a DIY job. If an Asian movement is $100 + service $100 + fitting $25 = $225 TC movement $135 + fitting $50 = $185 So it'll save you a chunk of money.

I see...thanks.  After reading, I dunno maybe 100 diff. threads, I think i want to use Vac for some mods and service.  There are other issues with this watch (rotating dial color, date window, AR, etc.)  that I WOULD have been fine with.....if i hadn't joined this forum.  Sooooooo now I'm not. 

I emailed him today to see if he could/had time for what I wanted.

Edited by slavo818

Hahahaha, yes, this forum has that kind of effect on people :D

Before coming here I was happy with no watch at all. Now I've got too many watches, too few money and can't stop visiting this place and lots of others.

• Like 2