When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5512 dial question(Ingod44 content)

Ephry73

As I go through my parts bin and look at what I have, versus what I need for my different Fall projects, I realized that the case I have does not work with the 5512 dial I planned for the 5512 McQueen build. This forced me to sell a few items and sort of start from scratch. 

The DW Submariner case I have has a dial opening too big for the gen 26mm 5512/5513 dials, but would work for a vintage 5512 dial(26.5-27mm) or even a 1680 Sub. Now, I like the simplicity of the no date Subs and would love to build a decent 5512. I have a great 2846 movement for it and decent gilt styled hands, as well as a t19 crystal that just looks like the t16, so the question is, can this Ingod dial work for a PCG 5512, or would it be too old and thus only work on a square crown guard Sub?

Image courtesy of ingod44's website

03_a__60282.1331007552.1280.1280.jpg

• 5 months later...

Odd update.

Had to ditch the project. With my first born soon to arrive I have to thin out a few projects and get rid of parts and such to concentrate on what I need, not what I want. Now building just the McQueen 5512 using a nice MBW case I was able to source from HH. Buffed the lugs, fixed a case back-to-case issue and have a decent 5512 dial sourced from HH last year. Will relume hands to match the dial(faint even lume and lovely vanilla patina) I have a few movements I can use. reliably I like the 2824-2 with H3 hands and hacking. Also have a 2846 non-hack and lastly a 2892. Since I will be wearing this watch under heavy rotation for work, gym, working on the cars and yard work as well as in the water, I want a movement that has good shock resistance as well as good accuracy(after all it is a 5512 dammit!)

What say yee? I figured the 2892 may be too low, but I can always get a spacer to work.

Hard to beat the 2824-2 as a workhorse. Another option is to use the ETA 2824-2 as a base and make it a slow beat using 2846 parts, like sneed12 is doing to convert theAP divers to slow beat. He has a good thread with photos in the AP section here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So this is the little something I am working on now. I will phase out my Sapphire subs to just the one. I know, I know.

The case is an MBK 5513 case with great MBK bezel assembly and great potential to mod well. I trimmed the CGs a bit and opened up the lug holes slightly, then repolished the whole thing. The case was purchased with an issue of the threads on the case - to - case back, but I managed to get it to work. All seals are fitted and it is water tight. Will have it tested at good pressure over the weekend when I get to my tools. I ended up using one of Adrian's 702 crown and tube combos. More practical for me and still cannot decide if I want to use the 700 crown on the 514 or this build.

The plexi is a "service" T19 from ST and I like it. Sealed slightly on the bottom of plexi-to-case with GS cement.

The 5512 dial is from HH bought last year and thankfully survived a sale thread. I now need to find a good source for ETA hands, or relume some ETA ST hands I have around. The movement I'm using is an Asian 2826-2 with the faux 3135 setup. It has the correct cannon height and is working correctly. I need to see if I can convert it to slow beat. For now it is running at +/- 2 secs a day. Can't complaint.

The Insert was aged slightly to get that lovely blue hue.

DSC_4845_zpscb32d23f.jpg

DSC_4848_zps8fd9e6e0.jpg

DSC_4745_zps0a3a0d55.jpg

Modified Crown Guards

DSC_4746_zps0a133d08.jpg

DSC_4743_zpscf0f9e3c.jpg

DSC_4747_zps98feb38b.jpg

DSC_4748_zps689c2657.jpg

T19 installed. The lugs need to be softened a bit and I have have beveled the holes a bit much, but when I am done with the case it will work well. MBW bezel with gen insert and modified Yuki pearl by me.

DSC_4751_zpse396ac7b.jpg

2840 as a donor or the two step keyless

DSC_4843_zps7ed140c3.jpg

DSC_4844_zps7e331993.jpg

The build using a lovely 7206 I got straight from Alaska some years back. Thanks Nanuq!

(Please disregard the hands as these are just temporary and not a match at all. I may just relume them if I cannot find a better set)

DSC_4862_zpsb167854c.jpg

DSC_4861_zps0e9c95d1.jpg

DSC_4860_zpse15c9294.jpg

DSC_4863_zpsa41c587a.jpg

• 2 months later...

Updating this thread, looking for hand options. Do you guys in your vast library of knowledge know which hands are better suited for a 5512 non PCG build? Skinny minute hand, or wide minute hand? Who carries the best version for ETA? Currently have these hands that are great for a modern build, but somehow seem on the tiny side to me. I could be wrong, as I have seen some thinner minute and smaller hour hands installed on some 5512 samples. I have yet to relume the hands posted earlier (got a little lazy with lume jobs after the little one was born)

F36B4EEE-58D6-4B26-B805-E340A37995C7_zps

What say ye? 

E