When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex Sub From Trusty Time

section8

I'm looking at this vintage rep Sub for my dad for a birthday present, it looks to be the best vintage sub rep out there, and the closest to the James Bond sub worn in Dr. No and Goldfinger (reason he wants it...long story)

Has anyone here purchased this piece?

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...;products_id=15

158879-12842.jpg

:g: ...

ok..here's the story. He had a gen of this watch in the 60s when he was in the Navy - purchased from the ship's store. A buddy of his got out of the navy want wanted one, so my Dad sold him his watch thinking he'd just go back and buy a new one from the ship's store. Well..the store stopped carrying them. He's always wanted another one.

Just remember that the bezel on this model does not click like the gen

I was wondering about that because the description says "Vintage style non-click bi-directional bezel". Saying "vintage style" implies to me that the original didn't click, but I don't know enough about the original gen to know if that is correct or not.

That being said, i doubt my dad would care one way or another.

Vintage acrylics don't click. They're bi-directional, and are tensioned in place by a washer spring.

The uni-directional click bezel wasn't intro'd until the mid 80's with the transitionals (16800 and 16660). These also had sapphire crystals and matte dials...

Thanks for the info ubiquitous :)

I think your dad might enjoy this watch and it's not a bad deal w/ the ETA movement in it.

Certainly, the crown guards could use a going over and siliconing the o-rings is always a good idea to make it WR. It's not a MBW, but it's still a nice rep. The only other drawback is that it doesn't look like a 40 year old watch- it needs a little tender loving aging- throw it in the dryer with some pebbles for a few turns.

I'm looking at this vintage rep Sub for my dad for a birthday present, it looks to be the best vintage sub rep out there, and the closest to the James Bond sub worn in Dr. No and Goldfinger (reason he wants it...long story)

Has anyone here purchased this piece?

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...;products_id=15

159093-12759.jpg

I have it.

Bill

I have this one. A nice looking watch but it looks tiny on the wrist compared to a Panerai say.

Unfortunately the bezel came off mine when I was at a football match (Preston v Cardiff City) I didn't notice at the time and am trying to get a replacement. I would suggest checking the bezel carefully when you get it. Keeps perfect time don't think you will be disappointed with it.

I think your dad might enjoy this watch and it's not a bad deal w/ the ETA movement in it.

Certainly, the crown guards could use a going over and siliconing the o-rings is always a good idea to make it WR. It's not a MBW, but it's still a nice rep. The only other drawback is that it doesn't look like a 40 year old watch- it needs a little tender loving aging- throw it in the dryer with some pebbles for a few turns.

Don't pre distress it. A year on your Dad's wrist will give it all the wear it needs to look like a worn and loved vintage.

I build custom furniture in my spare time and distressing is easily overdone. A little bit goes a long way especially on something that is going to be used. Most of my customer requested heavily distressed gathering or harvest tables look like junk after several years of everyday use.

Alright Bill you better send me that watch. I received the following email from your wristwatch, begging for relief:

Dear Mr. Nanuq, kind and wise:

Please you must help me. I live in Florida where, as you know, it is often hot and muggy. I live in Bill's house and I feel I must inform you that he mistreats me.

Sincerely,

Bill's 5517 MilSub"

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Dear Mr. Nanuq, Deacon of Deception, and Prince of Prevarication:

I most certainly did not write to you as I have lost nothing in Alaska and have no desire to go looking for it.

Further, you may delude yourself to believe that those of us who go "tic tok" do not know of you, but I assure you that I would prefer to be basted with sweat, and drowned in salt water before I'd risk being Nanucked . . . yes, that's what we call it. I suppose it was rude taking liberties with your name, but we all feel that the "uck" adds a certain clarity to the meaning.

Finally, Mr. Nanuq, you should know that I actually never go anywhere other than to get slightly dizzy turning round and round on my white leather carousel in my mahogany box - a carousel that I happen to share with a certain orange bezeled Planet Ocean that I believe you have some history with.

I must say, that watch has some stories to tell . . . especially that one about the Alaskan woman that didn't bathe in the dark -- what was that, like six months at a time? Maybe my new friend exagerrates, but when you can offend the olfactory sense of a waterproof watch, that's pretty horrid in my estimation.

Now, not to be rude, but let's strike a deal. If you'll stop publishing ridiculous BS and penning my name to it, I shall refrain from sharing the rest of that story. I may even send you a couple of cans of Lysol.

Bill's Comfy, Cozy 5517

Great Pic HighDef. I'm starting to think about getting one of these for myself. Where do you source the bands for these?

As for the CGs, if my first test run on my el cheapo Submariner case goes well, I may consider modding the CGs on his watch before I give it to him.

Great Pic HighDef. I'm starting to think about getting one of these for myself. Where do you source the bands for these?

As for the CGs, if my first test run on my el cheapo Submariner case goes well, I may consider modding the CGs on his watch before I give it to him.

I got it from here.

http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

Go for it on the CG's - just be sure and go slow with the right tools.

Remove the bezel, remove stem and crown, remove the crown tube and then pack the hole with a tiny piece of duct tape, rolled to be sticky side out (that way, no need to uncase the watch). Then, put a narrow but long piece of duct tape over the holesecuring it to the front and back of the watch. You do not want to remove any metal from the existing seat for the crown.

Using a nice set of jeweler's files, work the crown guards down slowly. Those sharp little files take metal off very effectively but unless you're a lot smarter than I am, you'll not find it so easy to put metal back.

I use a dremel vise with rubber padded jaws to hold the watch. Ten - twenty strokes on CG, same for the other, turn the watch areound and do the same from the back side. Work from both sides, regaularly examining your progress. Keep a sharp eye on the corners where the inside of the CGs meet the flat where the crown will set.

DO NOT use anything to seal the crown tube until you are sure you are happpy with the results. You'll have no idea what you have done until you get the crown back in.

Once all looks good, seal the crown tube,

post-223-1165162262_thumb.jpg

post-223-1165162223_thumb.jpg

post-223-1165162332_thumb.jpg

Work on cheap watches, or discarded cases, before attacking a nice piece.

I really like how this DRSD came out.

Bill

Thanks for the tips Bill! Do you need a special tool to remove the crown tube?

I have crown tube removal/installation tools, but it's as easy to do it with a triangular or square file.

Remove the little o-ring push the file into the tube and tap it with a jeweler's hammer to lodge it in place. Star it turning with a pair of pliers.

I'd rather use the tool, but if I was only doing one or two, I wouldn't buy it.

Bill

Well, i picked up some files and played around a bit. I think i did a pretty good job with the outside filing of the CGs..but when i did the insides to reduce the crown overlap I put in about 5-10 more strokes on the upper guard and botched it all up.