When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guitar anyone?

danielv2000

I am thinking of picking this hobby up. Anyone have any intro courses, music sheets, etc... Any decent source of info? The net is full of videos, etc but want to learn to play correctly.

Thanks

Yes, that is the most important thing for a beginner; to find the right music instructor. I did it for many years and am formally trained. Though I think that learning online is a great way to get a broader exposure, I don't think it's very good for beginners because it's a bit harder to communicate the basic mechanics. Also you and your instructor want to try to keep a balance between learning the basics and maintaining your level of enthusiasm/ interest.

Based on your level of seriousness, I recommend that you first write down some specific details about what you are trying to accomplish; like what do you see/hear yourself doing a year from now, styles, specific songs, ideas.

With that information in hand, start to search for an appropriate instructor by asking people at music stores, colleges and universities, friends and ads on craigslist. Interview the people and ask them if they perform professionally, if that is appropriate for the style of learning that you want.

Ask about their formal musical/teaching/performing experience. Also ask them how they would go about teaching you, and if you could talk to some of their students, and/or see their students play.

Then, if you find them to be a good candidate, definitely go to see them play live, to see if that is the type of style that you would like for yourself to learn in the future because that will be very informative.

Avoid instructors who don't have specific plans and shoot from the hip, improvise lessons on the fly.

Most important, have patience and take your time finding the right teacher. Try not to let the money limit your education.

For example, I am studying at the moment with a local singing instructor. He has 30+ years of professional performance experience and has formal training. He also studied with Bobby McFarrin. He understands all the mechanics and bio movements for singing properly. He has specific lesson and gives you mp3 audio exercises to do, and he makes custom mp3 lessons for custom problem issues. I have enjoyed watching his live performances at local clubs. In fact I'm going to see him perform next weekend with his band and an added four piece horn section. He implores all of his students to participate in live performances, in front of a live student audience, once per month every single month of every year on a stage with lights and a live band that he hires to back up each performer. He also records your performance on video and gives you a copy. All for a cost of $50/weekly lesson. That's the kind of instructor to ultimately find without going formal.

Best of luck in your search.

It's never too late to start music. Just keep you expectations realistic and have patience.

I think they also use Kijiji a lot up there in Canada. I grew up in TO. Is that where you are? Should be easy to find great instruction up there.

i'm getting a late start! Cromag, thanks for the info. Checking out craigslist and local music stores.

Youtube is quit ok for learning basics and more...and it is usually free, bigger plus- you can choose suitable time for learning, in the morning, evening, when ever.

Guitar`s are "in my blood", I have spend probably more money to guitars, amps, pedals etc, than to watches.

If you really want to play, then you probably will...first 0-6 month is painful, rest is much more fun. Does not matter what is you age.

I did find a few years ago hobby, building my own guitars also, mostly Stratocaster like-I love their design and they are easy to build.

Also I modified and rebuilt some others, all together I have 6 guitars in home today, one is half- done

Few samples, first build:

orig_27738733_Bl8i.jpgorig_27738741_F8Le.jpg

Second , relic style body, I kind of like that styleÖ

orig_28368645_gqJr.jpgorig_28368643_bgt0.jpg

Those are some beautiful tops @Sol. What type of base wood did you use for the body? I was thinking of my next electric to be Alder for light weight. It's important to let beginners and intermediate musicians know not to get caught up in the powerful advertising machine for gear. Focus on good sounding, durable, reliable, and easy to play guitars, and same with amps. Lean towards simple combo amps to start. Unless you have tons of discretionary income. Same with acoustic guitars. Take the time to learn about their specifics and buy to your level of playing ability without breaking the bank. I can make a crappy good guitar sound really great, but not a crappy bad guitar. I have a sweet Martin HD28 e8e7y6yt.jpg And I also designed and built my own custom electric from a hunk of Honduran mahogany. Carved it out with much more sensual curves based on the Stratocaster shape. Even concave(d) the top to lower the weight. Had my buddy give it a very custom paint job in his auto body shop. Designed my own unique pick guard. Super custom shielded electronics with built in booster and splitters. Custom Seymour Duncan's. Original Floyd Rose aka Eddie Van Halen. Totally custom 'scalloped' fretboard. I even play with a copper pic exclusively. Got it signed on the back by Satriani, and one of my old teachers, Paul Gilbert. I played live professionally on a regular basis with this guitar for at least five years straight. This IMHO is how a guitar is suppose look... used and battle scared :) Sorry for the crappy foggy morning pics apeseru2.jpg2udure8a.jpgzuqa3ydu.jpg

Edited by Cromag

Those are some beautiful tops @Sol. What type of base wood did you use for the body? I was thinking of my next electric to be Alder for light weight. It's important to let beginners and intermediate musicians know not to get caught up in the powerful advertising machine for gear. Focus on good sounding, durable, reliable, and easy to play guitars, and same with amps. Lean towards simple combo amps to start. Unless you have tons of discretionary income. Same with acoustic guitars. Take the time to learn about their specifics and buy to your level of playing ability without breaking the bank. I can make a crappy good guitar sound really great, but not a crappy bad guitar. I have a sweet Martin HD28 e8e7y6yt.jpg And I also designed and built my own custom electric from a hunk of Honduran mahogany. Carved it out with much more sensual curves based on the Stratocaster shape. Even concave(d) the top to lower the weight. Had my buddy give it a very custom paint job in his auto body shop. Designed my own unique pick guard. Super custom shielded electronics with built in booster and splitters. Custom Seymour Duncan's. Original Floyd Rose aka Eddie Van Halen. Totally custom 'scalloped' fretboard. I even play with a copper pic exclusively. Got it signed on the back by Satriani, and one of my old teachers, Paul Gilbert. I played live professionally on a regular basis with this guitar for at least five years straight. This IMHO is how a guitar is suppose look... used and battle scared :) Sorry for the crappy foggy morning pics apeseru2.jpg2udure8a.jpgzuqa3ydu.jpg

Nice:) My first one is also from mahogany(plus thin tiger-stripes layer on top), second one is from ash. Third one what is not ready yet is from alder. I really like Fender- Gibson custom shop guitars, but buying these ~ 1500 - 3500 usd and more...no, I can make for myself almost  same quality level instruments and also choose all components what I really like. Pickups are Tonerider City Limits, Tonerider Blues and one will have John Benson custom wound setup,similar to LOLLAR "Vintage Blond"

Plus I like playing with schemes, first guitar is wired  blend pot mode style, second one also, but it has also dummy single coil under pickguard and I can switch it on off, it WILL  cancel single coils hum. Nice.

BTW, I like your guitar neck profile. ;) You dark blue(or is it black)guitar neck- these waves are self made or did you bought it as it is? Will it feel very different if playing from stock neck´s?

Yeah, you are right, first guitar and gear it important but it does not have to be very expensive. If you already know that you will be playing, then yes, you can do upgrades. But first gear has to be more or less, very cheap one is crap (usually) and you probably cant even sell it if needed...Plus in the beginning you even dont know what kind of guitar and sound will suit you best.

Edited by sul

Nice:) My first one is also from mahogany(plus thin tiger-stripes layer on top), second one is from ash. Third one what is not ready yet is from alder. I really like Fender- Gibson custom shop guitars, but buying these ~ 1500 - 3500 usd and more...no, I can make for myself almost same quality level instruments and also choose all components what I really like. Pickups are Tonerider City Limits, Tonerider Blues and one will have John Benson custom wound setup,similar to LOLLAR "Vintage Blond" Plus I like playing with schemes, first guitar is wired blend pot mode style, second one also, but it has also dummy single coil under pickguard and I can switch it on off, it WILL cancel single coils hum. Nice. BTW, I like your guitar neck profile. ;) You dark blue(or is it black)guitar neck- these waves are self made or did you bought it as it is? Will it feel very different if playing from stock neck´s? Yeah, you are right, first guitar and gear it important but it does not have to be very expensive. If you already know that you will be playing, then yes, you can do upgrades. But first gear has to be more or less, very cheap one is crap (usually) and you probably cant even sell it if needed...Plus in the beginning you even dont know what kind of guitar and sound will suit you best.
Thanks! I play scalloped neck exclusively. Like Ritchie Blackmoore and Yngwei Malmstein. There were never any choices to buy so I had to make my own. Of course I had to get the Fender Custom Shop Yngwei model when it first came out in 1988. Here are some pics comparing it to my Tiger II. The color is actually a black base coat with a clear coat that has blue and maroon pearl in it, so depending on the angle and lighting, it can look black, blue, or purple. Check out how much more custom my body it compared to the alder Fender Custom Shop. yvy5unyn.jpgqasapu7y.jpgu7atepa9.jpgpaga3yre.jpg6erabuvy.jpgedubudyg.jpgduqupaze.jpg Fender scalloping uhe4uqu2.jpg Here's the scalloping... I bought the neck already scalloped because that is very difficult to do precisely. 6e2ydu3a.jpg Here are views of the color 5yhazadu.jpg And Paul's sig :)u5u9u2e5.jpg Edited by Cromag