When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fantasy Vintage Dssd Big Crown

Big Dazza

Well guys probably my final post for a while as I'm jetting off to the good old US of A tomorrow and thought I'd share my last project before I head away on my travels.

I picked up a 21J Dssd old school case and an ETA 2836 based Rolex engraved movement cheap from a member a few months ago and thought it could be turned into a nice little fantasy build. Since the caseback 'titanium section' could be popped out I reckoned it would be a great opportunity to display the 'Rolex' movement.

I asked Denimhead to help me shave off the crown guards and enlarge the caseback opening to allow me to fit a sapphire crystal. (Absolutely fantastic work to get it all machined and all in less than a week!)

Specs are:

Old 21J Rolex Dssd case

Eta 'Rolex' movement

CGs removed by Denimhead

Machined caseback by Denimhead

Sapphire crystal and nylon gasket

Athaya 8mm Brevet crown (drilled and tapped case - major pain in the a$$)

Plexi domed crystal with original gasket

'Ring Lock System' engraving removed

Helenarou Submariner dial with vintage relume and texture

DSN brass sword hands aged and relumed

White DSN seconds hand

Relumed pearl for Tritium effect

Bezel click spring removed

Aged ceramic insert

Mesh divers bracelet 

Was tight on time so only managed these quick crappy photos. I'll maybe take some more on my return :)

20131019_182346_zpse1cfd0d1.jpg

20131019_182149_zpsb6347307.jpg

20131019_182200_zps0cccd5c2.jpg

20131019_182225_zps128d63cd.jpg

Wow! :notworthy:

Looks absolutely amazing mate. That's some serious amount if work that's gone into this build and the result is nothing short of outstanding! :pimp:

Enjoy your trip across the pond as I'm sure they'll be many others who will be vying for one just like yours!

Amazing build ! I love both fantasy and gen like builds ,we build fantasy build a few years ago with very little positive praise , but today is more popular , i think that the launch of the blackbay with its missmatched tudor rose dial with snowflake hands really opened up the way and as made more acceptable the idea of fantasy models ,which is a bit like customising a classic car or vintage car there will be those who like it ,those who like both, and those who hate it , ! keep em coming !

Really cool stuff, looks great! The display case back is a great idea for the Rolex movement which looks fantastic and is only ever seen by watchmakers, the owners don't get the opportunity to admire that work of art, unless they're wearing one of these fantasy models.