When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are these the same watch? You be the judge !

DiverDoug

Hi all,

I've run into a bit of a snag with my first purchase and I need to see what everyone thinks about it.

My 5 QC photos arrived and I was quite impressed with them. As an example :

DSC_1054.jpg

Looks pretty nice, the communication was pretty good, and everything seems to be going well. I asked the TD for a shot of the watch on a watch tester to verify that it is indeed a 28800 bph movement, and the next day he sends me this:

watchphoto-1.jpg

Again, everything seems to be fine.

But wait a sec....where did the Omega symbol below the 12 go on the second photo? This got me to wonder if these are actually the same watch.

I sent an email to the TD as follows:

"Hi,

I know I asked for the watch to be sent, but I just noticed a difference between the two photos. The first photo (not in the timeographer) shows a very nice replica; however, the photo of the watch on the timeographer seems to show a different watch, as the Omega symbol doesn't appear underneath the 12.

Can you please explain this?"

His reply : "The Omega symbol doesn't appear underneath the 12. " (No !really ???? That what what I was asking in the first place!)

My retort : "that is what I am talking about. In the one photo (DSC_0040.jpg....ie not hooked up to the timeographer), it clearly shows the Omega symbol below the 12 (as all PO should show). However, on the second QC Photo (DSC_0041.jpg), the watch does not have the Omega symbol on the face, which leads me to question whether they are the same watch. I have also included a photo which shows a zoomed in version of DSC_0041.jpg that shows this difference.

Can you please explain why the Omega symbol appears in one photo but does not appear in the other photo if they are supposed to be of the same watch.

Thanks again for sending me the photo of the watch in the timeographer. I'm hoping this little matter can be cleared up quickly so you can send me the watch soon ! :-)

He then replied that he can send a new picture again. Unfortunately, he just sent me the 5 orginal QC photos and not showing a time reading of 28800, but he also said "If you don't trust me, we can cancel this deal"

Am I being paranoid, or did I just catch the TD doing a bit of a switcheroo with watches and they are in fact different watches ? Mods..care to weigh in ?

Best regards,

DD

I think it's the way the light is reflecting (or not reflecting as is the case here) off the Omega symbol. The angle in the second picture is meaning the reflected light from the omega symbol is not reaching the camera.

At least that would be my guess. Often a small change in angle can fairly drastically alter the look of some dials.

My gut feel was something like that, but I just wanted to be sure. It seems strange that the Omega symbol is the only thing that doesn't show up though. Oh well...

I didn't want to [censored] off the TD which is why I haven't got actually angry (just frustrated) at him. However, I will be going to a watchmaker here to do a similar test so I can be sure myself.

Lighting.

The seconds hand has all but vanished due to the same effect, and the hour and minute hands are just floating lume.

Approve the QC pics, it's nice.

That's what I figured in the end. I initially thought the logo wouldve stood out like the lume numbers but now I know it is actually reflective, so I can see why it wouldnt show up .

I approved the QC photos yesterday so now it's just a matter of waiting! :-)

Thanks for everyone's input! I guess the first one is the hardest, so I figure I'll still buy others from this TD.

watch this space for the grand opening!! ;-)

DD

• Like 1