When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

good rep rolex for older femail (vintage or not)

xsxces

greetings. been just lurking since i join recently.

i'm looking for get a rep rolex for my mother and i was wondering which version/model is best?

can anyone recommend one?

what she considers important is the movement of the second hand that casual lookers consider as the barometer for real vs fake.

personally, i'm not into rolexes so i don't know anything about such....

thanks in advance

Edited by xsxces

That's pretty hard, how old is your mother? I wouldn't think that she would like one of the new modern 40-42mm models I would look for a Lady Datejust, possibly a mid size one that's around 34mm. Check with the dealers here, I'm sure you can find one. If it has a decent mechanical movement, the second sweep will be the same as the genuine.

• Like 1

Sounds like she's looking at the Lady Datejust, they come in SS,SS/Gold and solid gold. If she is going to use this as her daily wearer, then I would stick to all SS, as sooner or later the gold is going to start to wear thin. Having said that, a lot of nice genuine mid range watches come on a SS/Gold bracelet with plated gold. My wife has a gen Tag Aquaracer SS/Gold, and the bracelet is gold plated. If you are looking for a nice one, I would contact mymanmatt. Matt has been working on Rolex watches genuine and replica for many years. He can build you a mid size SS or SS/Gold, use a genuine dial, bezel, crown and crystal, and I promise you  can't tell it from a genuine unless you take the back off. It will also come with a nice serviced ETA movement as well, for years of trouble free use.  

Having said all this, I wouldn't get and older woman a replica watch unless she was familiar with your hobby and was comfortable with one. It would be pretty devastating if she were to show her new watch off to some of her friends, and find out that it wasn't a genuine. God forbid another woman in her circle of friends has a genuine Rolex and they compare watches and your mother's fails the test. If she's cool with it, then that's perfectly OK, but I would ask her how she feels about replica watches before you spend any money on one.

powermax, bingo!

i'll have to look into the ss's. not sure about mymanmatt as i'm not looking to spend above 300.  hopefully somewhere around 200-250 but i'm sure that means quality is a bit lacking.  he sounds a bit expensive but i guess asking is free.  maybe i'll ask him spec out something.

also, i would never rip anyone off ....especially with a gift. haha. i showed her my 2 reps (tag and cartier) that i got with help from this forum and she was very impressed and asked me to look into one. her circle of friends, obviously they're not watch experts, even less so than i'm, so all they really look at is whether the 2nd hand moves correctly.  she asked that i don't get anything beyond a couple hundred so i'm looking into the matter. 

also, another problem might be that she won't be able to take care of the watch. i mean about the auto movement and how not to set the date between 6pm and 3am(?) or something like that.

so that's a concern. is there anything out there in ss that is quartz?  the 2 recommendations up there by asciwhite would be perfect except she'd want metal straps.

i'll start looking around at dealers' but wanted to start off here as i had 2 great buys with your helps.

thanks a lot

Quartz might be the way to go, pretty much only need to advance the date after months that are less than 31 days. Look at the Tag watches. The genuine are quartz, so not a problem with the wrong type movement. I'm sure the dealers here have some in your price range. I gave my wife a gen mid size Tag Aquaracer for our Anniversary last year, and she loves it. She has a gen SS/Gold Rolex Lady Datejust sitting in her watch box she never wears any more. She likes the quartz better!!!

Quartz might be the way to go, pretty much only need to advance the date after months that are less than 31 days. Look at the Tag watches. The genuine are quartz, so not a problem with the wrong type movement. I'm sure the dealers here have some in your price range. I gave my wife a gen mid size Tag Aquaracer for our Anniversary last year, and she loves it. She has a gen SS/Gold Rolex Lady Datejust sitting in her watch box she never wears any more. She likes the quartz better!!!

Yes i agree , i purchased a rep date just for my sister a swiss eta but women will not wear the watch every day and when they want to put it on they want a watch that is ready to go so quartz is the best bet ,  also  the datejust hidden clasps are a bit of a struggle at time to open and complaints of breaking fingernails trying to open a tight clasp, i would go for another brand !

• 2 weeks later...