When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mens vintage watch any info please

raberto1

hello my name is robert
i have my fathers watch and looking for some info please .
its a regency watch which looks gold ? .
cant find much info but it is suposedly manufactured by accurist .
it has a citizen homer 1801 (date window) but i thought accurist used swiss movements .
as i said any info welcome .

wont let me post photos 

search photobucket for                         robert_murphy3

regards robert

Your name dont appear in PB search tool mate says 'No results'

Do you mean that the dial has Regency written on it? Or does it have Accurist written on the dial?

Both makes used quartz movements in watches...

You can also get Swiss quartz movements and even cosc quartz... :)

Example of a Regency Quartz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGENCY-WATCH-SHOCKPROOF-17-JEWELS-QUARTZ-MENS-RETRO-VINTAGE-60S-70S-/271272439345?nma=true&si=lp3xLchIJKtW6dJOVYzODsmYtxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Sorry for some reason I thought you wrote quartz in your question...I must be going mad !

You tend to find that brands like these were originally made for a large jeweller or watchsmiths or other large company and produced their own parts or sourced them from different watch brands/suppliers..

I have had a few vintage watches with similarly unknown brand names and found they were made as I mention above and over time they either went bust or stopped making their own brand...

However you can still find Regency brand watches but they are pretty cheap and seem to be sold as liquidated stock etc the usual mark up mark down sales ploy ...so that would suggest that the brand is Chinese made watches now either sold by a Chinese company or made by them for a wholesaler/chain

That might explain why you are struggling to find anything in terms of history or more info....

Its certainly not Swiss made although another maker could have made the movement and stamped the Regency brand on the plate under a wholesale order so its possible it was made by another maker but I wouldnt know if it was Citizen or just made by Regency under license

Sorry I cant say more I can only go on my own experience of lesser known vintage wtach brands and how they came about and why there aint much by way of info

thanks peteM

as i say i have found a citizen homer movement which looks the same and is stamped 1801 on the back plate here is a better picture of my one. i have found on the ranfft site which is stamped 1802  and it is a 1974 para shock version so i presume my one pre-dates that as it looks identical to the citizen homer . i no nothing about watches and i am just going by what i can find on goggle  thanks again

regmove1200_zpsab0f2524.jpg

I spent some time doing that myself and checking out the vintage forums I know...the only thing I could find was that it was a brand name craeted by Merchandise services...

So given the lack of info I really think these were originally made for a large Jewellers or Chain to sell from thier outlets...it was quite common in the middle of last century and very affordable to do...

Hiwever you can still buy watches with this same TM so again from experience of other lesser brands it could be that ... the chain still oprates and these are in-house watches or the other reason is a Chinese firm have taken over the brandname and produce these current watches for small cash and carrys, chain stores etc

But I cetainly think that this brand started out as an own name brand jewellers or chain shop and these were originally made using bought in parts and put together by the company ordering or built on thier behalf..

The movement could well be a Citizen movement who supplied regency with the movements but with Regency brand name or it could be from a movement maker who supplied both citizen and Regency and probably others... it is quite common to see movements made by one movement house  being used in many brand names..in a basic way it is like brands buying ETA movements and fitting them in their own watches or maybe changing details or markings and then fitting them...like PAMs did or Many other gen brands

I had a few vintage watches left to me that had a similar obscure history and information ...in fact I even posted for info here many moons ago... I eventually found a little info on some vintage watch forums...

I did find a watchsmith that advertised his services in repairing vintage watches..in his list of brands (which was generic) he did list Regency ..so if it were me I would email him or other watchsmiths working on vintage watches and see if they recall the brand :)

I just looked at the Citizen.... that is a newer looking movement though same layout etc but seems to be a cheaper build... so it could be Citizen bought this copyright or license  for the movement and then made them ..that was quite common in 70s with Japanese watch brands... so Citizen could hve bought this design in 70s but oreviously it belonged to a movement maker who supplied many lesser known brands no longer selling or surviving

I also noticed a lot of Russian watches with same calibre which again could be a reason...Russia did produce western named watches for raising currency ..its a slim chance but possible...

Its all supposition but generally the basics are true... ie Regency was a brand created by a large company who bought in parts and branded them as their own and sold on within thier outlets or to other outlets..

thanks very much peteM i will go down that road and see where it leads me

cheers robert

Try these links mate...the second one is the watchsmith I mentioned above :) Good luck

http://sokm77watches.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/regency-automatic-rm190.html

http://oldswisswatches.com/

http://irhomdeys.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/vintage-swiss-regency-gent-dress.html