When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Help 1665 HE Valve decorative mod

fredfree

Hi guys, 

I'm finishing my 1665 these are the ingredients : 

PT Case,shaved cgs and aged case, menaged to solve the gasket problem , it is actually very easy to get everything back toghether and working, 

I can describe if somebody is interested.

Yuki dial

2846 ETA with silver DW correct open 6 9 and flat 3. It is an actual DW and not an overlay.

TC hands

Clark Crystal

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to do the HE valve mod called  "trompe l'oeil" or "zero leak risk" or "decorative" etc.

I've serched the forums with zero results.

I will post pics once finished.

I made one for a '5514'...

First, I drilled a 1.3mm pilot hole in the case using the same size drill bit I use for submariner lugs. I drilled the hole all the way through the case because I was not worried about a leak after pressing the valve into the case.

Then I drilled a shallow 1.9mm hole for the valve head (no O ring used)...very shallow if no O ring or a little deeper for an O ring.

I made the valve out of 316L rod from 'online metals com' without grooves for the gasket or clip, just a hair bigger than the 1.3mm hole in the case.

Last, I pressed the valve into the case using red Loctite.

It is easy to do but you will need a lathe to make the valve.

Making a working valve is not much more work but you need to use different dimensions on the valve and hole in the case if you want it to be oem size. The catch to this is making the spring clip that holds the valve tight in the case and cutting the relief inside the case for it. It is not as easy as it looks.