When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Speedmaster 3510.50 value and reliability?

fraggle42

Hi all,

A member on another forum is selling his gen Speedmaster 3510.50.

Sadly it's just the watch, no box or papers, so I'm assuming no receipts from any service either, so I'll factor a service into the price.

Watch appears to be in lovely condition. Sellers too far away for me to realistically go and see it (about £200 to get the train there and back) but has posted detailed reasonable pictures.

What would be a fair price for one of these in good condition?

And are they a reliable movement? I've read that the added chronometer plate makes them a pain in the a... to service.

Tempted, very tempted, but concerned about buying a high ticket value blind.

You should not have to pay more than USD 2000 for a Reduced. A few months ago, I would see many examples selling for 1-1.5k at auction. That's a fair price to me. Anything more and you're better off saving for a Professional.

I've also heard that the piggyback chrono module can be difficult to service. But then again, I've never heard of anyone actually needing to have one serviced or replaced.

Unless you have tiny wrists, and KNOW the full-sized Speedy won't work for you - don't get a reduced. They have little chance of holding their value. A manual full Speedy will serve you best for the long haul for sure. My .02

Unless you have tiny wrists, and KNOW the full-sized Speedy won't work for you - don't get a reduced. They have little chance of holding their value. A manual full Speedy will serve you best for the long haul for sure. My .02

I agree with the last sentence, but if you can get a Reduced for a thousand bucks, you can probably get that thousand back when you've gotten tired of it!

You agree with "My .02" ?...  :)

Yeah, I hear you. If you get one at a great price you'd probably be OK. I just see lots of folk selling them - not because they don't like the brand or Speedy, but because they're moving up. If that's a likely senario, I say just start there.

The thing is I look at the full size Speedy, and the sundials are not spread out, it looks like a rep with a quartz movement in it which has caused the maker to put the subdials too close together.

I'll wander down to an AD and see if they have the full size in.

lol.... now we don't want to buy a gen.... because it looks like a rep!

I'd say that's a fine rep, not a bad gen. :)

In any case (40mm or 42mm) - as long as she looks good in your eyes that's all that matter.

Good luck in the search fraggle.

I bought a gen pro 3 months ago and loved every minute of it.

post-54530-138505581365.jpg

Has anyone else noticed the prices going up on these? I paid 1750 for a 69 pre-moon, claimed service, without a box and now I can't find any on eBay for less than $2000. Some would say get while the getting is good but knowing the numbers of these produced, I think there is a bubble right now.

Maybe the new Speedmaster versions being released (Dark side, FOIS, '57 etc) are driving up the interest in the classic speedy pro.

lol.... now we don't want to buy a gen.... because it looks like a rep!

I'd say that's a fine rep, not a bad gen. :)

I know, getting silly :)

We're being spoiled as we have cheap (ish) reps of six figure $ watches and can pick and choose as we like regardless LOL!

In any case (40mm or 42mm) - as long as she looks good in your eyes that's all that matter.

Good luck in the search fraggle.

Thank you, I try not to go out of my way to 'search' as I'll be tempted to buy something for more than I normally would as I 'want one now!' Better to just see what turns up :)

Yes, Cr - the Omegas have been going up for a bit. I"ve had 5-6 Aqua Terras over the past 7 years - buy, sell, miss, buy, sell... you know the drill.

Can't believe when I started you could buy the auto version for 1100 or so... now... 1700ish for a nice one.

Some Speedies come up at good prices but you've got to be patient.

If you're not into bracelets sometimes a head will pop up at a nice price point.

But most are over 2K on bracelet for sure.

I don't hate the new one's myself but I do feel they've gotten to big/thick with the new movements.

Lost something of their "nice line"...

Besides, there's something special about a morning ritual that involves winding your watch.

Thouhght I'd hate something so old fashion... now... it's either great or... I'm old fashioned.

Either way, the Speedy is a great piece.

At least, the ones out on the rep market, to be very rude, they look like molested by a hipster.....

Rude... but accurate! :)

I don't like the direction the Speedmaster line is going.  But as long as Omega continues to make the classic, manual-wind Professional, I won't complain too loudly.