When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts on the AP FC V3 Diver from an AP noob!

panerai153

First off, I really am and AP noob. this is the first AP that I have ever owned, rep or gen. I've been around the watch game for about 40+ years, and I 've owned lots of different brands over the years. I have always owned Rolex watches except for a period in the early 1990's when I sold all my Rolex watches and decided to try some other brands. Got back into them in the late 1990's and into reps shortly after that.

I saw the photos of this rep a couple of weeks ago when Hike01 started a thread in general discussion about the best version of this watch. I saw the photos, read a bunch of threads on this forum, and a few over on Repgeek, and frankly I was hooked. I was going to buy one from one of our TD's but was able to pick this one up from another member here. Brand new only a few days old, and never unwrapped. this is my first black watch since I sold a genuine Chronosport UDT several years ago.

One of the first things that I did after getting the watch in was give it a good going over with a 4X and a10X loupe. I have to say, this is probably the best constructed rep that I have owned. Not many "warts" can escape a 10X loupe, it sees everything. I am very impressed with the dial, the numbers, the lume, just about everything about it is spot on. Now having said that I'm not saying that everything is correct to the genuine. Not having ever had one in my hand. it's hard to say, however I did download some photos of genuine FC Divers, and I can't see much that is different, certainly nothing glaring. Like all rep watches, It wouldn't do to wear it into an AD and flaunt it around, however outside of that I don't believe that there are many folks around that can tell this one from the genuine, at least without a gen to compare.

I was particularly impressed with the lume application, no lumpy spots, no overruns, and unlike a whole lot of rep watches the lume actually glows!! Everything is very precise and right where it should be. The crystal AR looks to be quite good, I don't notice any color tinges. Not having ever seen the genuine, I wouldn't know if the Cyclops is the correct mag or even has any mag. If there is, it isn't like the Rolex Cyclops that is 2.5X.  

My case is nicely figured, certainly no "wood grain" affect in the least. All of the edges are very straight, and no problems around the lug ends, etc. The lug fit isn't as good as some I've seen here, but after owning vintage Rolex watches for 40+ years, and seeing the sloppy fit and looseness of genuine Rolex bracelets, endlinks and lug fit, this one looks outstanding!!

The watch sets and winds very nicely, the date clicks over at 12, as it should. The inner bezel mechanism works, although I doubt that I will be using this function much if at all. I realize that the 28800 BPH movement is not correct, and the best of the Asian 2824's isn't as good as an ETA, however I will at some point send the watch down to Vac and let him change out the movement. I have a brand new ETA 2824 as well as a NOS 2846 for the slow beat conversion. At the same time I'll get him to address the bezel screw height issue.

The hex head bezel screws are not all precisely the same height, there is the one at 20 which is set a tiny bit lower that the others, again no biggy unless your OCD is in hyperdrive.

It definitely is a lint magnet!! I wore it under a sweater today, and it took me 5 minutes to clean it up to take some photos, and I still had a little dust on the watch. Mine must be static charged!

I'm very concerned about water resistance with reps. All the TD's tout the water resistance of their watches being >30, >50 atmos etc. I know that's a bunch of horse hockey! I doubt that any of these reps are really tested in a pressure tester, unless one pays for the extra service. I do have a pressure tester that tests up to 5 atmos., so I ran the FC through a pressure test yesterday and it passed a 5 atmos. test , 5 Atmos. is not suitable for snorkeling, Scuba or any activity that might subject your watch to pressurized water, but it gives me confidence that my watch will not get wet inside when washing my hands, or occasionally immersing it in water, probably safe for wear at the pool or beach.  This is pretty important for "pulling off" a rep, because it looks pretty suspicious if you are take your Rolex Submariner or AP Diver off at poolside and leave it on the table!! If I saw that my immediate impression would be, Ahha! a non submersible submersible, must be a rep. Won't have that problem with this watch.

Sorry for the rambling, I really do like this watch, it's very well made, to my old eyes, it's very close to the 27,000.00 USD genuine (Does anyone think that there is 26,500 USD difference between the genuine and the rep?) i'm going to have to keep looking at AP's as this one has made me a believer.

Here are a few photos, sorry they are not the quality of some of you AP owners. I'm really impressed with some of the photographs on this forum, lots of professional quality photos.

post-327-0-11688900-1385329287_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-59491200-1385329309_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-93390200-1385329333_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-61268300-1385329353_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-40151800-1385329381_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-26331900-1385329402_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-13190700-1385329421_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-21050900-1385329442_thumb.jpg

I know you posted this just to make me jealous :nono:  :fool:  :cc_hang:

Nah!! You will be posting one just like this in a week or two!!  :)  I'm trying to get some of the AP experts to tell me what's wrong with it :g:

BTW I saw your little collection in the AP photo thread, you have some seriously beautiful AP's. I do have a question though. I've been reading a bit about the sec's @ 12,I noticed that you have several chronos with that configuration, have you had any problems with any of them? What can be done to fix the problem? sort of sounds like the same problem that the Rolex guys are having with the sec's @ 6 Daytonas.

Yup! It's a hit or miss, but I had two that quit! Our friend actually tried to fix them two, got one back but the RubberClad is still with him. Most recommended fix is Graphite treatment and that seems to work for some, but not all.

The best I think is a jewel upgrade. Domi or Francisco in EU I believe have a fix.....So far the Tour Auto that MD serviced is working fine, but the RubberClad quit after a week.

Just a little update relative to the movement reliability. I set the watch to the atomic clock on my phone the afternoon of the 24th after taking the photos that are in this thread. I checked my watch this afternoon about 4PM, 11/27/13 which is around 3 days. the time was off by -7 seconds!! that is a little more than 2 seconds a day. This is very good for a new movement, and shows that the A2824's that are used in this watch are pretty darn good movements.  Minus 2 seconds per day is well within COSC parameters. As to whether or not it will hold up and be this accurate over time, only time will tell. However for the time being, I'm really very happy with this watch.

I concur with the OP about the movement keeping TIME! It's scary good. Within COSC!

For those still looking....check SEAD/supermirrors! He still have some stocks......as far as I know, and good ones at that! He's also a no nonsense TD.....and ships like AMAZON Prime!