When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Diagnosing an A7750 losing time

ybz90

Hi everyone,

I have a question about an A7750 that's been acting up and was hoping someone more knowledgable could help. In short, it loses about 12-13 minutes a day, but there's a catch -- it only happens at a specific time (around 1030PM). For the rest of the day, it keeps on ticking normally and seems to be pretty darn accurate (+2s/d, except this issue). 

I've had this particular movement for about three months and this problem surfaced about a week ago. I really have no idea what to make of it or what might be wrong. Maybe a gear somewhere is missing a few teeth? It's a bit puzzling because it's accurate, and suddenly, it's just behind 12 minutes. 

Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Most likely, the hands are coming into contact with each other, the underside of the xtal or something else on the dial @ that location. If you are able to decase the movement, see if it still loses time @ the same spot without the case. If not, the hands are probably contacting the xtal or case. If it still slows @ at time, check for proper clearance between the hands & dial.

Here's an update on the issue -- it turns out the time skip isn't at a specific time after all. I only thought so because I wear the watch with such regularity and keep it wound to the same amount daily. Today, I didn't bother to wind it properly on the winder and it skipped again, losing the same ~12 minutes, but did so at 4PM.

So basically, at random times, the watch loses time. But only at an amount of 12 minutes and it happens all at once.

Any ideas? Could it be a kink in the mainspring or something that causes the watch to lose time when it reaches a specific state of unwind?

EDIT: Can't seem to update the OP to update with new info.

Edited by ybz90

My concern with having it serviced is that honestly, it's not even worth the cost compared to just getting a new movement altogether. I know A7750s can be had for around $150. However, I haven't been able to find a supplier that sells ones with the 3-6-9 dial modification.

I do appreciate the advice. I don't think I was being unappreciative at all. I am just asking for advice as to what to do, since the best option seems to be "get it serviced", whereas that doesn't make very much financial sense.

If it wasn't clear before, thanks everyone.

I do appreciate the advice. I don't think I was being unappreciative at all. I am just asking for advice as to what to do, since the best option seems to be "get it serviced", whereas that doesn't make very much financial sense.

If it wasn't clear before, thanks everyone.

In the past i found it cheaper to buy watches with the movements I want and part them out...I cant say I have done it with a 7750..only 7753s etc thats because if I need one I would contact a modder or watchsmith here or on the forums as they generally have many laying about and will send you a serviced one or you can send them watch for fitting etc... depending where you are depends on who to contact....

But as for economics mate... I wouldnt agree mate...it is worth getting it serviced rather than just replacing as you can end up with the same problem a fews months down the line with the replacement...the A7750 is a very robust movement if looked after...and also if you swap a few of the more used parts with ETA parts..so a service may be a big initial outlay but it will pay you back in long term compared to just replacing... and most importantly it allows you to retrieve more of you initail costs when you come to sell it...