When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a7750 stem problem

sputim

Yesterday I removed the stem of my hbb v6 a7750 in order to correct a subdial. When I put back in the stem the watch started running but when I had the stem all in the watch the movement suddenly stopped. Winding, date setting and time setting works all perfectly but the movement is not doing a single thing :( How can I fix this? Is this a problem with the hack lever?

Thanks in advance and merry christmas to all :D

• Like 1

The hacking on the 7750 uses a break on the balance wheel. So all you need to do is gently flick the balance wheel to see if it is free or braked by the hacking lever. You may be able to see this hacking lever that is just hidden away underneath the bridge where it says HUB4100 at the 11 o'clock position of the balance wheel in your photo. 

If it is still hacked when the stem is pushed in then you have a problem in the keyless works/stem which is hidden under the dial side.

Good luck ;)

• Like 1

Thank you so much ceejay for this input! It is exactly what happened to me. When I inserted the stem the first time I had some problems and I think I just misaligned the hacking lever then?! Anyhow, the balance wheel won't turn when stem is in. Now I am able to take off the dial. Do you think it's an easy fix as soon as the dial is off? Or can I also access this hacking lever with taking off the bridge like on the picture?

Thanks and hope to get this baby fixed soon :bangin:

post-50919-0-41213600-1388053773_thumb.j

• Like 1

Forget about dissembling the movement down to the stage in your photo, you will never get it back together again, trust me!

I guess that you have jumped/pushed the hacking lever out of the groove that it sits in the castle/clutch wheel.

You need to try the least intrusive method of fixing it as there are many pitfalls that will leave you in a much worse position.

I would try this....

Remove the balance assembly. To do this you just remove the 1 screw that is located at the 4 o'clock position in your photo above.

Using a pair of tweezers gently lift up the balance bridge that the balance wheel sits underneath. As you lift it up the balance spring and wheel should follow. Sometimes the balance wheel can get hooked and you don't want to damage your balance spring so give it a little wiggle to release it.

If all go's well then you will be holding the balance c ock (bridge) with the balance wheel dangling by the spring. This is OK the balance spring will not be damaged with just the weight of the balance wheel.

Gently place it somewhere safe:)

Now with a pin or needle you should be able to push the end of the hacking lever where it pressed onto the balance wheel. Try doing this with the stem inserted and engaged for normal use. Wiggle the stem to see if you can 'jump' the hacking lever back into it's groove. You may need a helping hand to do this ;) You will know if you are successful when you move the stem in and out of the hand setting position the end of the hacking lever will move in and out where you have been pressing on it with the pin.

If all go's well then you need to replace the balance c ock.

To replace the balance c ock(bridge) gently lift it back into position with tweezers, it's quite tricky as you have to align the impulse jewel with the pallet lever which is underneath and out of view and the top and bottom pivots of the balance wheel.. But don't stress, this all sounds difficult but with a bit of perseverance you will have it back on.

Before you tighten the balance c ock screw gently flick the balance wheel (stem in normal running position) and the watch should run. If doesn't start ticking then you either have the impulse pin outside of the pallet fork or your pivots are not in there holes. Do not tighten the balance c ock securing screw until you have it installed properly! If the balance wheel is located properly or the watch is ticking then start to tighten the balance c ock screw, if at any stage the balance become trapped or stuck STOP! loosen it and start again.

Summary:

Remove balance assembly

Press end of hacking lever with pin or needle with stem inserted and wiggle stem to get hacking lever back into correct position.

Replace balance assembly ensuring balance is moving freely before tightening retaining screw.

Job done?

I would say this is the least intrusive method and 'may' work. If it does not then I think you need to get it to a watch smith as removing the hands and dial then messing with the keyless works is tricky stuff.

Good luck ;)

• Like 2

wow ceejay many many thanks for your detailed information. This is truly a heads up for me! :D just tried to remove the c ock together with the balance wheel on a cheap pam rep I have. Worked out fine and it is still running :D hope I can manage to do this with my hub. I am a little nervous but if this works it would be awesome. Otherwise I will send it to a watchmaker how is repfriendly ;) I will keep you informed how it went on :D

Thank you so much! :clap2:

You probably pressed the hack between the base and cover plate. So it is out of position. The fact that the hack is now wedging itself between the base and cover plate means other parts that normally are aligned are now out of position. This could be the cause of other functions now not working properly anymore.

Ok I guess this is out of my abilities. I contacted Domi in Germany and he told me that I can send him the watch. He offered me to do a complete revision of the movement which I think is wothtwhile anyway since this watch is definitely a keeper for me :D Thank you so much for your help. My understanding is growing with your experts tips B):notworthy:

Blimey, I'm no expert, just learning. That Rolexman is the expert ;)

Just to add, the hacking function is there to set the time more accurately. The watch will function just fine if the hacking lever was removed. Shame you can't just pull the thing out!

Getting it done properly is a wise decision & well done for having a crack at it :)

Yes Domi seems to be the guy for me. Switzlerand has no repfriendly watchmakers and the last one I had something fixed scratched the dial. I replaced some dials and with a paper or bergeon dial protecter scratches are easy to avoid. This just gave me proof how clean he worked. Moreover, the dial has dust on it. This time I rather give it to an expert who treats the watch like a gen and not like a canall street garbage watch ;) Again thanks for taking your time and helping me with this issue! Now I have to wait some weeks and I guess I will enjoy it much more then. Meanwhile I hope my v6 arrives soon :clap2:

• 3 weeks later...

Crap, crap, crap. This just happened to me when I decased the movement to loctite the pushers on my relatively new 3777. This was the one watch I didn't want f*cked up by losing a pusher button and now it is not running. Exact same symptoms, balance wheels won't rotate with the stem pushed in.

Guess I'll give this fix a go, if I can't get it working again, then a new movement from cousinsuk, or maybe cut my losses and move on.....

This sort of worked. After taking off the balance wheel and trying the hack, it looked like it was extending and retracting OK. Took a while to get the balance wheel back in the pivot properly with the impulse pallet in the fork properly too. Takes a few tries but get it and things appear to be somewhat functional.

Turning the movement over causes it to stop. Sometimes in the vertical position, sometimes when flipped right over (dial side up). Most of the time just giving the balance wheel a nudge starts is again, but other times it seems jammed. I am guessing at this point that the pivot or shock absorber is at fault and beyond my means to repair. I am going to take it around to the neighborhood watch repair guy to see if he can do anything.

I discovered the same. Most probably the hack lever is out of position. Guess it is a keyless works problem where one has to bring the hack lever in place again. This is over my capabilities thats why I sent it over to Domi and have it in good hands ;)

Good luck with yours ;)

If the watch runs ok when it is dial up but stops when you turn it over it could be a broken top pivot on the balance wheel.

If you look at my post above I stress when tightening the balance c ock screw that if the balance wheel gets trapped or stuck then stop., this is because the top pivot is not located in the jewel hole correctly.

When you continue to tighten you simply snap the top pivot off. The watch will run dial up but as soon as you turn it over...end of.

Good luck guys.

Thanks ceejay, sounds exactly like the issue. Checking is still beyond my willingness to dive in to see if is out of place or broken. Will let the watch repair check it out. Damn 3777, just been bad luck all around. May be shopping around for a new balance wheel or whole new A7750. Wish I could replace it with a Sea-Gull or Miyota

I am not sure that he was really accepting or not. He thought it was a gen and then got a little hesitant after I told him it wasn't. He's a little neighborhood jeweller with low-end stuff so I don't think he is pulling in big cash so any job is a good job.