When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Misaligned insert

kernow

Hi folks,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but my search doesn't find it, so don't flame me for asking again.

I've a 50th Aniversary Bond Seamaster bought M2M and the bezel insert is misaligned, I guess a photo says a thousand words, so.........

image_zpseac1587b.jpg

What's the best (easiest) way to correct this? I've tried heating it with the wife's hair drier but to no effect.

Thanks

Edited by kernow

Bezel needs to be removed, then insert, and correct, then press fit the bezel back into the correct position.  You need both a press, and bezel removal tool.  It all depends on the construction though, and I'm not familiar with this model.

I think these are the same as a PO.

This is what I read to do to remove the bezel on my PO:-

Get a sharp (ish) but strong knife, then on the watch, on the bottom left (7pm) position put blade between bezel and case. Put your finger on the opposite (blunt) side of the blade to where it is sitting against the watch and press hard. You might also need to use the other hand to slightly turn the bezel (you won't be able to turn it as it's being held by the blade, but wiggling it as much as you can helps)

To protect the watch case get some tape and put it over the case as much as you can where you will be putting the knife between case and bezel. I also removed the strap, and covered the crystal and anything else I could - it's easy to slip and one slip the wrong way and you've marked something.

The bezel was not very tight on the PO I did this on and I found that one knife wouldn't do it, I had to get two, one at the 7pm position and a second at the 5pm position. I used Stanley knives as those blades are strong but thin and fitted in well and didn't snap.

Once bezel is off there's loads of guides around describing how to remove the insert and refit it.

And the bezel fitted back on with nothing more than thumb pressure - quite a lot, watch case on a bench, bezel placed in place, one thumb either side, standing up and press hard equally on both sides until it clicks.

Hmmmm may give that a go too, after all how hard can it be.......

...... Famous last words!

And for my next thread, "where can I get a new bezel" lol

Many thanks all

Well, I seem to have managed it with destroying the watch.

I bought a rubber/plastic bezel remover from CousinsUK. It's a simple bit of kit and being softer than the steel watch, it doesn't damage it when it slips off. So, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

4262D67D-7DD3-428B-9B5A-3B3FBEBD7763_zps

Bezel removed.

7D237A6C-740F-4405-B145-591F9E9291F1_zps

Click spring removed (care needs to be taken so as bit to damage the locating pin)

457CA6B0-55CE-4B5E-A874-D883E75CF83E_zps

Locating hole for click spring.

7EDF2DD5-CD64-414A-B393-42A9916284FE_zps

Using a (slightly) sharp knife I worked it between the bezel and the insert.

49E3CEF0-6D49-4E83-9478-03E50A46318B_zps

Insert slowly coming away.

9977BAF2-ACAA-44B3-9723-737F9F01DA18_zps

And.....

C71A5E3B-8320-41A2-8F62-FEFBCC46A73B_zps

Finally, I refitted the click spring and bezel, then the insert and it now looks like this.

496561EA-96AF-4AF3-B868-FA1D728073C5_zps

Quite pleased with myself as I usually work on much larger projects - like ships!

100% better, still think you could have managed it without taking the bezel of though? iv'e never failed to get one of from the front just takes time and patience

You're probably right. I was just wary as I didn't know how thick the insert would be and with it being ceramic, I didn't want to risk cracking, snapping, or otherwise breaking it. Anyway, with the bezel tool it only took a minute to remove the bezel.

Great job, now you'll be up to frakening yourself an entire watch in no time!

......as it happens, I do have a project planned, but it'll be a job for my watchmaker once I gather all the parts together. I'll post up a new thread before I start as I want opinions on a couple of things.

100% better, still think you could have managed it without taking the bezel of though? iv'e never failed to get one of from the front just takes time and patience

Whilst I'm not doubting it's possible to remove an insert with the bezel on the watch I cannot see any benefit in doing it that way?

An analogy would be changing the tyre on a cars wheel without removing the wheel from the car - possible but why? It only takes a few seconds to remove the bezel once you're used to it.

Good job!

Hey on your bracelet, is there a gap between the end link and first link?

On my 007 there is :(

I don't think so, or at least it's not enough to worry about. I'll have a look when I'm home and report back if there is a large gap.

As for removing the bezel; it just seemed easier to do this first and then remove the insert, also I was conserned about scratching the crystal if I left the bezel in place.

• 5 months later...

I scraped the old glue off and used a contact adhesive from a hardware store. Just a few drops, not too much otherwise it would squeeze between the crystal too and you want to be able to rotate the bezel!