When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HELP: hair spring broken on A7750

ProMariner

Hi guys, I just broke the hair spring on my Daytona A7750 in trying to adjust the movement to have something as close as possible to +/- 2 sec/day I touched with a toothpick the hair spring and now it is broken. Do you think a watchmaker will repair it even if it is a replica with a clone movement and with sec@6 modification? What will be the price ?

Probably easiest way is to contact your td and ask if its pissible to buy a balance wheel for this particular movement. With good pliers and the right screw drivers you would certainly be able to replace it. Nevertheless, not sure wether a TD can source it for you or not. If you find a repfriendly watchsmith go there and try your luck ;)

Parts for an A7750 are not readily available to the average guy on the street. Your best choice is to find a watchmaker from one of the forums who might have spare parts. Otherwise you'll probably have to buy a new movement. Or find a member with a dead Daytona. There seems to be lots of them around.

Edited by kbh

If you do happen to find the part, be sure and buy the balance assy. That will be the balance wheel, hairspring, and balance staff. Do not try to replace just the hairspring. These are commonly made as an assembly. I think you can buy the assy from just about any td that sells the a7750. If you can source an assy, just about any watchsmith anywhere can install it for you in a couple of minutes. Next time you try to adjust your speed, be sure the movement is NOT running. Good luck

Something just came to mind. I know many of the parts from the gen ETA 7750 are interchangeable with the Asian clone. Has anyone ever tried changing the balance assembly?

By the way, I'm looking for a A7750 reversing wheel, which apparently is not interchangeable, if anyone's got a spare.

Something just came to mind. I know many of the parts from the gen ETA 7750 are interchangeable with the Asian clone. Has anyone ever tried changing the balance assembly? By the way, I'm looking for a A7750 reversing wheel, which apparently is not interchangeable, if anyone's got a spare.
If the oscillator can be interchangeable with gen 7750, then I can bring the watch to any watchmaker and he can fix right ? Is a gen oscillator from A7750 is hard to find. I really worry about the repair price.. I bought the watch for 300USD and if the watchmaker ask me 300USD to fix it (inc service adjustment and regulation of course) I don't think it worth it for a rep...

While a gen part might interchange, hairsprings are made for a specific movement. If you did manage to find a gen assy, you probably won't be able to regulate it. If the hairspring is to strong or to weak, it will gain a minute or 2, and then begin to lose a minute or 2. It will be completly unstable.

When you say the hairspring is broke, what do you mean, bent, snapped or come apart from it's assembly?

If it's snapped then it's new hairspring time, which a good watchmaker could fabricate although no doubt pricey.

If it's bent then again a good watchmaker should be able to straighten it. Same if it's come away from it's fixing.

But there must be lot's of dead 7750's out there if you ask about ;)

By broken I mean really broken in half if you prefer lol I will go first at a local watchmaker, I called him on the phone and he told me to bring the watch tomorrow to see it and give me an estimate price. I forgot to tell him that is a rep watch with a rep movement, hope he will accept the job.

While a gen part might interchange, hairsprings are made for a specific movement. If you did manage to find a gen assy, you probably won't be able to regulate it. If the hairspring is to strong or to weak, it will gain a minute or 2, and then begin to lose a minute or 2. It will be completly unstable.
Are sure with that at 100% or you are supposing ? Have you heard about this experience ?

Your in luck, I found a complete bridge with balance assy attached. For a $500 I'll tell you  LOL ebay item number   231116483102  $68.00 plus $11.00 shipping from Idaho. It's the complete bridge, balance wheel, hairspring, and balance staff. great buy. I'll pm you also

Yes I saw it ! I think I can replace it myself but the main problem now is, does this gen eta 7750 balance wheel + bridge for Breitling will fit my A7750 and how the hell am I going to regulate and adjust the watch lol ? I broke it trying to adjust and regulate it .. I hesitate do bring the watch to a local watchmaker I am worry that he keep the watch and call the police, do you think it is possible ?

I brought the watch first to a high watchmaker in the city which is known for his great job and he told me that he doesn't accept rep and rep movement and gave me a lesson about rep, I felt so bad lol. He also showed me a beautiful and iconic piece in his wrist a Gyro tourbillion from Jeager Lecoultre. I was like O_O OMG. Anyway I brought the watch to another watchmaker that told he doesn't give a damn about repairing rep or gen lol but he wasn't passionated by his work like the first watchmaker. Anyway Tuesday I will see him and he will tell me the price for changing the balance wheel and service, regulate and adjustment..