When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement Repair Questions / Help

Aero_Dave

OK guys, I have some movement repair questions hopefully a modder can help me out. After my last watch repair that was set out, can back broken, I decided to purchase a bunch to watch repairs tools. I want to make an attempt to start fixing my own stuff!  So…

I have an Omega Ploprof with an ETA 2836-2 movement in it, that was working Perfectly fine when I sent it out to MD. He was only supposed try and center the date better, in the center of the date window. But when I got it back, not only will the crown not seat flush with the case, when changing the time, the hour hand starts slipping at 6 O’Clock and won’t go past this time.

So, not sure why the stem & crown won’t go in all the way in (it doesn’t appear that the stem was removed from the crown).

And what would be causing the hour hand to slip only at the 6 O’Clock position? At this point, I’m willing to try and fix it myself. At least it will be a learning point for me on whether or not I’m cut out to be a fixer upper! I guess if the movement needs servicing to fix it, me  taking it apart (as long as I don’t break anything) won’t make it any worse.

BTW, the watch does appear to work after shaking it and over night, it kept good time until it hit 6:00am.

PS, a little about my background may help. I was an USAF B-52 Aircraft Mechanic. Then for the last 26+ years, I have been a Senior Network Engineer. I’ve always loved taking things apart and putting them back together. I kind of have a Photo-Graphic memory when I take stuff apart, so I know where the parts go back together. I have a ton of patience when working on small, detailed things. I’m also setting up a nice area in my home office, just to work on my watches. I know it will take time to learn the in’s & out’s of watch disassembling and rebuilding. I’m willing to give it a try and hopefully enjoy this hobby even more.

Thanks,

Dave…