When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which 127 Would You Choose

ZainoDetail

I'd say the best accuracy/value combo would be EL's w/ Davidsen capped hands and a dial lume. 2XX for the watch, $35 for the hands, and about $50 for the sandwhich relume plus whatever you spend on the strap. Anal retentives like me will want to have someone rebrush the case more aggressively as well as service the movement and polish the bridgeplates and brass gears to fool another 1.2 percent of the WIS's who take a passing glance at it.

From your pics and description - it looks like you got a PAM217 - and not a 127. At least the case, back and movement are from a 217. Perhaps the dial was just swapped in?

That's basically the brunt of it. The case and dial is correct, i.e., the crown is on the correct side, but yes, everything else, the movement and the caseback is from the 217 which is an H series movement.

Also - I could be wrong - but it's my understanding that the Swan Neck is simply the little adjuster dial on the movement. I've taken your photo and circled the Swan Neck in yellow.

162223-12006.jpg

So - even though your watch has the incorrect bridges - it still has a Swan Neck - no?

You are slightly incorrect. The swan neck is not what you circled, but close. The swan neck is the long curved metal piece that goes out from where you circled, around the needle and back up towards it (shaped like a swan's neck).

And yes, even though the movement is wrong, mine does have it.

Great review Josua but be aware all modifications costs a lot of money.

Total costs, watch and mods about usd 650 - 700?

Also it's tricky.

Lumejob,pin job a lot of things can go wrong.

I know some people are looking for the perfect rep but for me a rep is a rep.

I will never spend 600 dollars for a simple rep.

Why should you, it's a rep????

There is one thing what i will never understand the search for a movement with swanneck.

All swan neck rep movements look terrible.

You can not compare a rep swanneck movement with the orginal.

That true, it is expensive and things can go wrong. However, it's still relatively cheap compared to the real thing. As far as things going wrong, that's why it's extra important to get a good person doing it. The Zigmeister for instance has a great track record around here.

And I agree, a rep is a rep, especially with a limited edition watch, it's never going to get there. Some people will still spend that amount of money to get that close though. For me, I had 4 Panerais. After I got the Fiddy I realized it was the only one I'd ever need, it has the size, beauty, sandwich dial, etc... I just love it. So for me, I'd rather spend $700 modding it to make it extra close to the original, more solid and correct and more reliable (i.e., getting it serviced).

Yes, the swan necks on the reps are pretty bad compared to the gen, but, they at least look better than not having one at all IMHO. I'd rather have even just a cosmetic one if it at least looked correct, but our Asian friends haven't put that much effort into it yet, and who knows if they ever will. So you are right, if a swan neck is a completely important part for you, you may have to get a gen to be satisfied.

Thanks Joshua for a very detailed description. I am not so concerned with the minor estetical differences between a gen and a rep, but rather the quality of the watch, so my main goal is to get a watch that does not break, the crystal does not crack etc. Based on my preferences, would you recomend Davidsen if I want a watch of good quality which will last for a long time?

Also I would like to ask you, where can I find Davidsen? I keep reading his name but I have not seen any link or other way of contacting him.

thanks

Ulf

If you want to buy based on quality and not cosmetic flaws compared to the gen, then absolutely go with Davidsen, absolutely, absolutely, absolutely. His watches are tanks and the movements are the best money can buy in the rep world. You will not be dissatisfied with it.

The best way to get ahold of him is just to email him: davidsenjpn@yahoo.com

I bought ELs 127 (I think it's the previous version from the one he's currently selling) and it's very good. It's a 581 caseback and I don't believe the case is far from 1:1. I've had the hands and pin done, but haven't needed to have it relumed because I don't think it needs it. I get a bright noticeable glow when I go from outside to inside, and am able to see the lume after 8 hours by the side of my bed overnight.

The only thing against it is that I think it's a mineral crystal but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure about that!

I wear it on custom made distressed brown leather, it's a beaut.

Josh,

That was a great post. I did get Davidsen's fiddy 3 weeks ago and it has the 117/1950 number on it. He said before I purchased it that this one was more upgraded and it is, the lume is excellent, the cannon pins are correct and the font seems to be better than the photos you posted, but not quite as good as the gen. All in all it is a superb rep and a great watch. Thanks again for your post, and to the question in hand, go with Davidsen's and you will be very pleased.

Josh,

That was a great post. I did get Davidsen's fiddy 3 weeks ago and it has the 117/1950 number on it. He said before I purchased it that this one was more upgraded and it is, the lume is excellent, the cannon pins are correct and the font seems to be better than the photos you posted, but not quite as good as the gen. All in all it is a superb rep and a great watch. Thanks again for your post, and to the question in hand, go with Davidsen's and you will be very pleased.

Yeah, he mentioned that my caseback was a mistake. I only got mine about a week ago ;)

He's supposedly shipping me a new caseback, but to be honest, there are so many flaws with the watch (cosmetic off from the gen) that I think later on, sometime next year, I'll just buy whatever the best version is then and switch some stuff out. Even if he does ship me the correct caseback, it still has that brushed back on the numbers that I pictured.

But gald to hear you are happy with it, post some pictures!