When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chatbox bot?

fraggle42

Seeing MOABs comment to the newcomers that the chatbox in RWG isn't really ever used interactively like it is on the other forums got me wondering about the chatbox.

Years and years ago I used to run an IRC server in a network with a few other friends.

I added an IRCbot to all channels on the server that anyone could use to find out various information, the usual IRC stuff like have you seen such and such, number of people on line, list the servers in the net, etc.

For laughs I enhanced the bot so it responded to other random keywords, and you could also tell it to respond to people asking for you by name, ask it to tell you a joke, ask it to kick people in a rather rude manner, etc, etc.

I don't know the forum platform RWG uses really, but can the Chatbox have it's own Chatbot?

It could be programmed with all sorts of things:-

* Mention a TDs name with question mark at the end of the sentence and it responds with the TDs forum URL

* Mention a brand name, ditto

* See lots of question marks or lots of quick posts from the same user with no response, quote the URL of the new user introduction forum

I'm sure there's loads more similar things we can think of such a thing to do! (kick anyone asking "whats the best sub" :) )

It could be written so it works completely independantly from the forum software, have an account for the bot, the software parses the HTML of the site and reads and responds to the chatbox, wouldn't be too difficult to do, the shoutbox has it's own HTML table, but does the forum software have such a thing built in? RWG 1.1 has the "Hello" to new users, which is slightly along the same lines.

I gather that the admin wants the place to run (as much as feasible) by itself. We have been promised upgrades in the past and they didn't happen. Some of it has to do with payment collection issues, but I just gather they want the place to "grow" organically.

• Like 1

I gather that the admin wants the place to run (as much as feasible) by itself. We have been promised upgrades in the past and they didn't happen. Some of it has to do with payment collection issues, but I just gather they want the place to "grow" organically.

Just my $0.02, don't hit the big red button that says "Ban the guy!"

• Like 1

Just my $0.02, don't hit the big red button that says "Ban the guy!"

Damn, I went to hit the big red button and I accidentally banned Admin instead.  Looks like that upgrade ain't happening.

;)

• Like 1

Not to worry, the Big Red Button gets so little use here that we often forget where we left it.

I think the last sighting was at Ken's recent Nut Fitting party. We held a garage sale and ponied up the funds to replace his long-missing Left Nut.

We figured it would be better with live music, and when someone mentioned a band, Ken naturally thought we meant banned and brought it along.

• Like 1

Nanuq, I don't know what drugs you are on but can I have some. Genuine LOL :)

I'm now going to try pressing every button here that I can fin..... [ bzzzzzt, click! "Carrier Disconnected, your modem will self destruct in 30 seconds. Thank you for using RWG Services and we hope you have a pleasant death" ]