When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wrist shot request AP diver vs Rolex Submariner

danielv2000

Can someone who has an AP diver and a Rolex sub post a side by side shot and a wrist shot of each or even both on the wrist. It would be much appreciated. I had planned to stop by an AD today and try an AP diver on but work kept me indoors all day!

Many thanks

Hi, qualitywise the AP Diver V5 is awesome in comparison to other reps, just meaning everything about it: working, power reserve, overall quality, gen~like feel. Weighs 182 grams but it feels heavier than the 204 gr. DSSD and wears bigger. Pics I´ve got below, someday have to take some side-by-sides with the Submariner, that´s right. Hope this helps a bit.

This is a lumeshot side by side with a 16610 Seadweller

LumeAPDivervsRolexSeadweller16610IMG_073

These are 3 Gen´s from a commercial

VillebrequinL1060601.jpg

Side by side with the DSSD Piccard

DSSDvsSpIMG_1377.jpg

DSSDVSAPIMG_1380.jpg

next to the huge 47mm Pam 193 Tuna-can

APPAM193TwoDiversIMG_1044.jpg

Edgematic1, thank you. On the individual shots, I'm thinking "it's not that big compared to the sub." Then, i scrolled down and see the 2 of them together!!! It's massive compared to the Sub. I can only imagine the height differential.

AP Diver is 14,3 mm thick, actually thinner than the 14,6 mm 116610 Ceramic Sub same as 14,3mm 16610 SD and much less than the DSSD 17,5mm. But the whole case on the Diver has that thickness all across the 54,5 mm (from 12 to 6) x 45,66 mm (from 10 to 4) while the Sub is rounded and thinner on the sides and only that thick in the center, that´s why it wears big

As for the case size, measured from 10 to 4 the difference is huge, it´s the following:

Diver: 45,66 mm

Ceramic Sub: 41,35 mm

16610 SD: 39,83 mm

Still the Diver wears comfortably and without moving because of the quite large rubber strap - and it´s a beauty to look at and to hold, quality all around.

I have a V5, and compared to the Rolex 16610, it's a lot bigger. I believe that one thing that contributes to the "bigness" is the much wider lugs and consequently wider strap. It's strange in a way because I have the V3 Forged Carbon Diver as well, and it just feels and wears smaller than the S/S diver. possibly this is because it's so much lighter. Also possibly the black makes it appear to be smaller. This is all and illusion, as dimensionally, they appear to be the same.

The 16610 Submariner is thinner than the S/S Diver, the 16610 is 13mm. the 16600 SD is 14.6 and the 116610 Ceramic and the DSSD are all thicker, so perhaps the 16610 is not a good comparison watch as it is thinner however that is the one the OP asked to see.

Here are a couple of wrist shots as well as a couple of shots of my "P" serial 16610 (1980 model) and the S/S Diver. The 16610 is on top and the left sides of the cases are in line. You can see from this how much more case there is on the S/S Diver, extending out on the right side.

My wrist is a little over 7", and I believe that the size of the AP divers are right at the limit size wise that I can wear comfortably. Other folks with my wrist size or smaller may not have the comfort problems with bigger watches, depends on the individual. Probably will be less of a problem in the summer with short sleeve shirts. Sometimes under a long sleeve shirt and especially a shirt and sweater, the S/S diver is a bit uncomfortable.

post-327-0-58094200-1390609142_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-51539600-1390608955_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-89047800-1390609234_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-50036600-1390609180_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-09808000-1390609268_thumb.jpg

AP Diver is 14,3 mm thick, actually thinner than the 14,6 mm 116610 Ceramic Sub same as 14,3mm 16610 SD and much less than the DSSD 17,5mm. But the whole case on the Diver has that thickness all across the 54,5 mm (from 12 to 6) x 45,66 mm (from 10 to 4) while the Sub is rounded and thinner on the sides and only that thick in the center, that´s why it wears big

As for the case size, measured from 10 to 4 the difference is huge, it´s the following:

Diver: 45,66 mm

Ceramic Sub: 41,35 mm

16610 SD: 39,83 mm

Still the Diver wears comfortably and without moving because of the quite large rubber strap - and it´s a beauty to look at and to hold, quality all around.

Thanks. Very helpful. Must visit AD!

There's always a few of these for sale on the various M2M boards.

I have a V5, and compared to the Rolex 16610, it's a lot bigger. I believe that one thing that contributes to the "bigness" is the much wider lugs and consequently wider strap. It's strange in a way because I have the V3 Forged Carbon Diver as well, and it just feels and wears smaller than the S/S diver. possibly this is because it's so much lighter. Also possibly the black makes it appear to be smaller. This is all and illusion, as dimensionally, they appear to be the same.

Here are a couple of wrist shots as well as a couple of shots of my "P" serial 16610 (1980 model) and the S/S Diver. The 16610 is on top and the left sides of the cases are in line. You can see from this how much more case there is on the S/S Diver, extending out on the right side.

My wrist is a little over 7", and I believe that the size of the AP divers are right at the limit size wise that I can wear comfortably. Other folks with my wrist size or smaller may not have the comfort problems with bigger watches, depends on the individual. Probably will be less of a problem in the summer with short sleeve shirts. Sometimes under a long sleeve shirt and especially a shirt and sweater, the S/Si diver is a bit uncomfortable.

I see what you mean. There's def a lot of case on the diver. My wrists are just a nudge under 7". The DSSD was never comfortable but I gave no issues with the sub, SD and even a ceramic sub.

Thanks

I got rid of two DSSD's for that same reason, tried one, didn't work and a while later I tried another one. No matter how much you want to love a watch, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit!! I believe that one problem with the DSSD, is the height, plus the base isn't all the way across the watch like the AP divers. plus it has the traditional Rolex 20mm bracelet that tapers to 18mm which is probably too narrow for this watch. I don't like to wear watches too tight on my wrist, and the DSSD always wanted to Turn turtle on me. I believe that your idea is good, go to and AD, try a couple on and see how they feel.

Im really looking to get a Diver, but Ive never tried one on. I am starting to think my 7 inch wrist might be a little small. Strange how it doesn't seem that large looking at it in the display case.

Billy, my wrist is just a shade over 7" and the Diver works fine. i will say that it will probably be more comfortable in the summer with short sleeves, as it's a bit uncomfortable under a shirt and sweater. I don't think that is a problem with the diver in particular, I believe that all bigger more massive watches have the same problem. I have a FC V3 and it's more comfortable than the S/S Diver, but I believe that is because it's so light. you don't even know it's on your wrist.

If you have and AP dealer that's accessible by you, I would not hesitate to ask them to try one on.

I changed out the strap on mine to a Donerix Sharkskin, and it's a lot softer and more pliable than the rubber strap and is more comfortable.Coming over from primarily wearing Rolex, and mostly vintage at that,the size of the AP diver straps have taken some getting used to, but outside of the problem wearing them under tight sweater cuffs, both the rubber strap on my FC V3 and the Shark strap on my V5 are pretty comfortable. I do think that a 7" wrist is pretty much the limit, size wise to comfortably wear this size watch. I know from looking at photos that there are guys out there who have wrists smaller than 7" , but to me the watches don't look very good if most of the lugs are hanging off the outside of the wrist. Just my opinion.

Here is mine and please pardon the dust!!

post-327-0-01929600-1390940188_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-54273600-1390940203_thumb.jpg

Why not the AP 15400 or 15300 wears much thinner, got a 43/41 mm case, gets more wrist-time than the Diver with me. Its a fantastic, timeless Genta-design and sits very comfortable on that unique bracelet, really one of my favourites for dress and sports. The AP Leo Messi on the left is 10,9 mm thin (Sweeping main seconds hand when activating the Quartz-Chrono, otherwise locked at 12´, the secs at 6 are small but tick). Even better to have the 15400 in silver or white and the L.M. in black. Just an idea but one AP in the collection is a fine thing.

IMG_0852_zps2e4d018e.jpg