When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Black Bay - just received

fraggle42

The Gen is nothing more than a piece of metal with some paint that uses an ordinary off-the-shelf Swiss movement. There's nothing special about it that allows it to command a $3K. I really don't see what's stopping the rep factories from making a true 1:1 rep of this watch. They didn't even get the crystal right!

Off you pop then.

Do what Angus has done and organise about 7 factories to make all the bits exactly like gen, and an 8th one to build them.

And got to sell for $300 each, and as you quote, be exactly like a gen Tudor BB.

Any of you that had problems with your watch?

Heard that Angus is taking the best care of his customers, now its the new year celebration in China…it´s a hard time waiting for answers...

Only 72 hours to tell them if anythings wrong, anyone who knows the best way to report problem to Angus? 

I sent some mail to addresses on the site is that enough? How do they respond and how do the fix it? 

Do I send them the watch, do they send a new?

If you have information please let me know how it all ended for you. I was so looking forward wearing this beauty.

I hate receiving a beauty that not talks to me..  :(

Gunnelof, what is the problem?

I have received mine and it is all good, I love it.

I have read that a few people have had one of the little ceramic balls in the clasp fall out, and I think one person has reported a dead movement.

Out of the 400 or more shipped I don't think that's too bad a failure rate for a rep, especially from a new factory.

Congrats Fraggle42, that´s a stunner of a watch. Can´t stop looking at them since seen the first Tudor BB.

Could You please tell how thick the rep is?

Think I can´t resist any much longer to get the hands on one of these:)

#fraggle42

I love it swell, just a shame it doesn't work. Dead movement is the problem.

I can work it for a while and it runs for a couple of minutes, when it runs its awesome!

Now I'm just sad, hopping that it will be easy get this right with P-T. 

I´m so looking forward to order about 3-5 watches more, but first i want this fixed.

They have amazingly nice pieces and what i understand its 99% that all works well. I´m just the unlucky one...

Gunnelof, what is the problem?

I have received mine and it is all good, I love it.

I have read that a few people have had one of the little ceramic balls in the clasp fall out, and I think one person has reported a dead movement.

Out of the 400 or more shipped I don't think that's too bad a failure rate for a rep, especially from a new factory.

I did get an quick answer and they will fix it if i send it to them.

One thing that i wonder about is that Marie maild me its a Kinetic...thats not what it says...

So i tried to wind it like a fool for a couple of minutes, but it didnt work. It runed for 15 min but it didnt keep time.

I dont want to open it to check if its a kinetic, does anybody now if it´s a kinetic or not?

And whats the correct winding if it is?

Im just not familiar with kinetic´s..

I did get an quick answer and they will fix it if i send it to them.

One thing that i wonder about is that Marie maild me its a Kinetic...thats not what it says...

So i tried to wind it like a fool for a couple of minutes, but it didnt work. It runed for 15 min but it didnt keep time.

I dont want to open it to check if its a kinetic, does anybody now if it´s a kinetic or not?

And whats the correct winding if it is?

Im just not familiar with kinetic´s..

Gunnelof,  if by kinetic you are referring to an automatic mechanical movement, then yes, the BB does us an automatic movement that winds off of your kinetic movements while you wear it.  This and all Swiss and Chinese based clone 2824/ 2836 / 2892 etc  movements work this way (the one that is inside your watch is supposed to be a clone 2824).

It sounds like you are may be used to mechanical wind or quartz watches and have not owned an auto before? (If not the case, my apologies).   If  so, just like with a mechanically wound watch, there is only one correct way to hand-wind the watch (typically wind in the 1st position once unscrewed,  in an away motion from you).  With these auto watches, it should only take a few turns and perhaps a light shake of the watch to get the balance wheel moving (if it has a poor oil distribution) to get it ticking.  It sounds like there may be the possibility that you have not turned the crown enough or worn it around enough to wind the main spring and keep it going, but if the aforementioned and a little bit of day to day wear does not fully wind the main spring, you may have an issue after all.   Also, with these automatic movements, you do not have to worry about over winding the spring, as there is a clutch that releases the tension if the spring is fully wound so as not to damage anything, so wind away as much as you want (but be gentle, as these stems tend to be a little more fragile than desired in a Genuine watch).

To me it does not sound like this movement is dead, so much as, worst case scenario, may just need a decent service to distribute the oils evenly and get the gears moving.  Hope this helps...  

Edited by Uberscreamer

Gunnelof,  if by kinetic you are referring to an automatic mechanical movement, then yes, the BB does us an automatic movement that winds off of your kinetic movements while you wear it.  This and all Swiss and Chinese based clone 2824/ 2836 / 2892 etc  movements work this way (the one that is inside your watch is supposed to be a clone 2824).

It sounds like you are may be used to mechanical wind or quartz watches and have not owned an auto before? (If not the case, my apologies).   If  so, just like with a mechanically wound watch, there is only one correct way to hand-wind the watch (typically wind in the 1st position once unscrewed,  in an away motion from you).  With these auto watches, it should only take a few turns and perhaps a light shake of the watch to get the balance wheel moving (if it has a poor oil distribution) to get it ticking.  It sounds like there may be the possibility that you have not turned the crown enough or worn it around enough to wind the main spring and keep it going, but if the aforementioned and a little bit of day to day wear does not fully wind the main spring, you may have an issue after all.   Also, with these automatic movements, you do not have to worry about over winding the spring, as there is a clutch that releases the tension if the spring is fully wound so as not to damage anything, so wind away as much as you want (but be gentle, as these stems tend to be a little more fragile than desired in a Genuine watch).

To me it does not sound like this movement is dead, so much as, worst case scenario, may just need a decent service to distribute the oils evenly and get the gears moving.  Hope this helps...  

Thanks - great answer.

What i thought she ment was like the old Casio kinetic winding were the movement charged a battery.

I got nice "self-winding" watches so i could quit easily say that this one had some problem. I really tried to get it run properly. When it worked for 15-20 min it didn't keep time.

But this story has a great ending CNY is over and i did get super-service from PT and Angus. The watch is on it´s way for a checkup and I'm at this point sure they will give me the best service. 

I´ll post here when it comes back just to close the case  :)

Good to hear you got a response, Gunnelof!  Now it just comes down to waiting for Angus to get the watch and to figure out what they need to do for you.  Hopefully it will be a decent turn around time before it is back in your hands and performing much better than before (or just a different watch entirely, depending on what he has in stock)!

Aero, those pictures just make me want one for myself even more!  Too bad it seems like there are more popping out of the woodwork that are not keeping time or do not seem to have a very efficient winding mechanism.  If I do get one soon, I have no issues just removing the date wheel and gears from one of my spare Swiss 2824's and popping that in to make sure it works correctly.   Decisions, decisions...    Guess I'll just wait to make sure Toro has some in for sure.

Aero, those pictures just make me want one for myself even more!  Too bad it seems like there are more popping out of the woodwork that are not keeping time or do not seem to have a very efficient winding mechanism.  If I do get one soon, I have no issues just removing the date wheel and gears from one of my spare Swiss 2824's and popping that in to make sure it works correctly.   Decisions, decisions...    Guess I'll just wait to make sure Toro has some in for sure.

I contacted them to ask if they could send me another movement but one reply said we can not you have to send them the watch back how can this be an ecomomical solution customs risk re-shipping back the watch costs ,handling costs, and return shipping to me my shipping via the uk was 75usd surly an asian eta movement would be cheaper to send me without risking re-sending the watch back, i should also replace the movement with a gen 2824-2 or 2892 but why should i its a new watch  :protest: 

When you say it stops after you take it off, how long after? A day? An hour? 10 minutes?

And what do you do during the day? Is it a desk job where your hands are not moving much?

As to your point about the movement, if the manufacturer believed everyone who claimed something was wrong, most will be genuine, some would be people trying to scam them out of movements, dials, cases, bracelets, etc. sadly postage will break some things, you were unlucky but Angus will sort it out.

When you say it stops after you take it off, how long after? A day? An hour? 10 minutes?

And what do you do during the day? Is it a desk job where your hands are not moving much?

As to your point about the movement, if the manufacturer believed everyone who claimed something was wrong, most will be genuine, some would be people trying to scam them out of movements, dials, cases, bracelets, etc. sadly postage will break some things, you were unlucky but Angus will sort it out.

The watch stops about 15 min after taking it off, my hand is very active ! i have many automatic watches no problems with storing power ! as i said im not prepared to return the watch but i would return the movement to them, i buy many watches from both trusty and pure ,i understand that some might try to scam them i just want to have my watch working i may just replace the movement my self with another 2824

Ordered it too, reluctantly I must say.

Too expensive for an Asian movement and a "simple" watch with just hands, even hasn´t got a date complication.....

But it looks good and the gen costs more.

This was just a test and we fell for it, me included, can´t wait to get one of these.

That´s also why the new Submariner-C Noob V3 has been released for 368+70 shipping (!!!!!!!!!!!!!Asian)

if its Europe (increase of +37,5% with Asian move) -well it´s got a date complication.........

Hilarious but also sad. 

At these prices You have to choose like with gen´s and still cope with a dozen problems.

One more increase next Year and it´s back to gens, those are Steinhart prices already.

• Like 1

Sigfreids, stick to gens if you need any rep to be that accurate.

This is a lot closer to gen than many, many reps. Angus took over a year working together with the guys at RWI to iron out lots of problems.

And as to the price being high? You make it sound like it's the most expensive rep out there! What about the Fifty Fathoms? $500 or so it's going to be IIRC? AP divers? Etc, etc. we've all moaned about the quality of reps, they've gotten better, we now have QC pics and the opportunity to check for obvious problems (abused by many) and the TDs are mostly happy to sort us out if it arrives DOA or goes MIA on the way to us.

I wasn't around 5 or 10 years ago but from what I've heard you ordered something from a couple of grainy photos, and once it was posted that was it. Dead or alive, smashed or working, accurate or absolute rubbish, it was yours no matter what. And no one had heard of QC pics.

This is a lot closer to gen than many, many reps. Angus took over a year working together with the guys at RWI to iron out lots of problems.

Oh really?

"Hertitage Black Bay. 1:1 replicated from a genuine sample,"

Soon, this EXACT same watch (minus the Tudor logos) will be selling by Parnis for $120 (shipping included).

Oh really?

"Hertitage Black Bay. 1:1 replicated from a genuine sample,"

Soon, this EXACT same watch (minus the Tudor logos) will be selling by Parnis for $120 (shipping included).

What's your point?

You want a parnis or a tudor? There is no 1:1, neither in your little world, nor in mine. You pay for the name, the risk and the qc. This hobby is illegal. Never forget that.

These watches are replicas and it was only a matter of time that they would rep the eta movements in the end it is up to the buyer to decide if the 300 plus price tag is worth the money . there are watches out there like the parnis that cost around 120usd in sterile form, i used a parnis ceramic case set for my tudor snowflake fantasy build but i have also built watches that cost me over 500 usd in parts alone and that was with a used eta movement.

I like the blackbay finish i dont mind the little things like the pearl or guilt font colour tone the watch is very well done case and bracelet and even if you fit a gen swiss eta movement it still wont cost you more than 500usd compared to the 3k gen price tag

I was annoyed receiving a problematic movement on a brand new watch which took a year to be made i have had the movement repaired it also had a problem the minute hand was bent and catching on the seconds hand and apart from the movement was dry, it is now running well i would have prefered a gen swiss 2824-2 ,i may drop a gen movement in if this movement give me any more grief !!!!