When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Addition to my AP box - RGRC ROO

panerai153

Just bought this one a few days ago in a M2M sale on RG. The seller had the watch for about 8-9 months after purchase from another member over here. This certainly isn't a review, as I'm such an AP noob, I would probably not know good from bad, unless it was a glaring error.
First impressions, the watch is heavy!! After wearing my FC V3 Diver for a couple of months, I really noticed the weight. It's also tall, however  I believe that because of the totally flat caseback, it seems to ride better on my wrist than some of my previously owned large watches, in particular the Rolex DSSD. I don't like tight  watch straps, and I can wear this one at a comfortable length and it's not always trying to "turn turtle" on me. For reference, my wrist is a shade over 7".Because of the height and size, I find it a little uncomfortable under a sweater with tight cuffs. I'm looking forward to spring and short sleeves. Will be much better I'm sure.
 This is a very imposing watch, it just looks good! The Grey dial, black subdials and Rose Gold case really go well together. It's residing on the rubber strap that it came on, but I have a better Black Hornback strap incoming, so I will change to that when it arrives.
AFA the movement, this is my first encounter with a sec@12 watch, so hopefully it will work out. I don't play around with the chrono so, that should help the longevity. The precious owner sold it as "Serviced", but by the first owner, and he couldn't offer any details as to what was done. He also mentioned that he thought it had been AR'ed, but I don't believe that it has anything other than the AR from the factory. If anyone who looks at the photos and recognizes the serial number as a watch that you sold and could cast any light on the service history, I would appreciate the info. One glaring fault, and it's only noticeable at magnification, the date window is crooked. It looks like there are two parts to the date window, the dial and the bottom of the Cyclops. It appears that either the dial date window was cut crooked, or the Cyclops was installed crooked. At my normal focal distance, I can't tell anything, only when the photo is magnified.
All in all, I think it's a pretty nice watch. I'm happy enough with it that I'm going to order a Safari after all the CNY celebrations and order backlogs are cleared.
Please feel free to comment as that is the only way we learn, listening to what the more experienced members have to say.

One last comment on the lume. What you see here is a good example of how you can make a watch with mediocre lume look good. It was exposed to bright lights during the photo session, after I took all the regular photos I turned out all the light except for the room light in the next room. It was pretty dark, but enough light to focus. This was a 20 sec exposure at F.2.4 ASA 800. my camera was mounted on a big rock solid tripod and I use the self timer to trip the shutter. Looks like it was superlumed by one of our moddersd, but in fact it's just average at best.

Photos

post-327-0-63905200-1392411721_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-46888000-1392411866_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-92044500-1392411886_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-27558400-1392411904_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-09448000-1392411924_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-78337900-1392411943_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

What a nice watch! Seems like the AP bug has bitten you :p I never thought about AP's but now I feel the urge to get a AP diver fc v3 and an ap Safari aswell :) Hope the movement lasts long and the xtal looks nice to me. I will definitely have my Safari serviced by Domi and I guess AR'd aswell since it looks so nice the doubla AR on these AP's :)

Wear this watch in good health it's definitely a stunner!

Thanks guys, It is a nice watch. unfortunately just as the 39mm Rolex vintages are too small for the guys like Mike on a bike with 8+ inch wrists, this one has size limitations as well. My wrist is a shade over 7", and it's right at the limit for me. I see lots of photos of guys on this and other forums who have 6-6.5" wrists wearing the AP ROO's, and to me they look really odd, sort of like they are wearing a clock on their wrist! But to each his own, and if you feel like you can pull it off, then you probably can. I would suspect though that the biggest reason larger watches hit the sales forum is the wearer tries them and decides at some point, "this watch is just too darn big". I tried a couple of the bigger PAM's, can't remember the numbers, but I believe they were 47mm. I couldn't pull those off, and they didn't hang around long.

sputin, you know, it's really funny, for all these years, I have really never given AP's a second look, then the FC diver came along, and I say some photos someone posted in the general discussion, because I never went to the AP forum at all. I bought the FC V3, and I really liked it, so I bought the V5, and I like it as well, now this RGRC, which I also like. I'm still a little leery about the sec @ 12 movement. Wish we could find someone in the USA who did the jewel modification like Domi does in the EU.

sputin, you know, it's really funny, for all these years, I have really never given AP's a second look, then the FC diver came along, and I say some photos someone posted in the general discussion, because I never went to the AP forum at all. I bought the FC V3, and I really liked it, so I bought the V5, and I like it as well, now this RGRC, which I also like. I'm still a little leery about the sec @ 12 movement. Wish we could find someone in the USA who did the jewel modification like Domi does in the EU.

I feel quite the same to be honest. I always thought AP's are not my cup of tea but I really start to like them. I get the fc diver v3 as soon as I have the funds together and the ap roo safari will follow. Lucky me I can have it serviced and AR'd by Domi to get an amazing looking and reliable keeper. I hope that you get in touch with a fellow uk member that could dropship it for you. Your idea with the two packages seems very reasonable to me and if all gears are working properly, turnaround time should not be increased much more than 2-3 weeks ;) Second chance seems to be the new guy in uk who unfortunately not yet does AR service.

So best of luck to you and I am looking forward to receice the fc diver ;)

I feel quite the same to be honest. I always thought AP's are not my cup of tea but I really start to like them. I get the fc diver v3 as soon as I have the funds together and the ap roo safari will follow. Lucky me I can have it serviced and AR'd by Domi to get an amazing looking and reliable keeper. I hope that you get in touch with a fellow uk member that could dropship it for you. Your idea with the two packages seems very reasonable to me and if all gears are working properly, turnaround time should not be increased much more than 2-3 weeks ;) Second chance seems to be the new guy in uk who unfortunately not yet does AR service.

So best of luck to you and I am looking forward to receice the fc diver ;)

I believe that you are going to like the FC V3. It's a great watch, and it's very comfortable. It's not as heavy as the other divers or the ROO's. My V3 is with one of the USA guys right now getting the slow beat conversion. I had a spare 2846 movement lying around, and he is doing the mod for me. :) I would really like to get a Safari, I believe with that, my little collection of AP's would be all that I need!! Notice  I said need, not want!! ;) I do know my limitations, and I won't be getting any of the 44mm versions, as they will not fit my wrist.

I believe that you are going to like the FC V3. It's a great watch, and it's very comfortable. It's not as heavy as the other divers or the ROO's. My V3 is with one of the USA guys right now getting the slow beat conversion. I had a spare 2846 movement lying around, and he is doing the mod for me. :) I would really like to get a Safari, I believe with that, my little collection of AP's would be all that I need!! Notice  I said need, not want!! ;) I do know my limitations, and I won't be getting any of the 44mm versions, as they will not fit my wrist.

but the FC has yellow, which is pure unadulterated evil. :D

Come on Big A a little yellow isn't too bad!!! I am like you however with yellow dials, I had two yellow dial vintage Doxa dive watches, plus a modern Doxa GMT, and none off them hung around for long. Not a big fan of yellow dials. The yellow on the FC diver doesn't bother me, I hardly notice it's there, but I don't like the AP Bumblebee, because to me their is too much yellow, just from the hands and numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Come on Big A a little yellow isn't too bad!!! I am like you however with yellow dials, I had two yellow dial vintage Doxa dive watches, plus a modern Doxa GMT, and none off them hung around for long. Not a big fan of yellow dials. The yellow on the FC diver doesn't bother me, I hardly notice it's there, but I don't like the AP Bumblebee, because to me their is too much yellow, just from the hands and numbers.

Aha! See? You did not get the bumblebee too haha..

My 8 yr old boy wore a yellow casio on his wrist a while ago and when he lost it at school, I gave him a catalogue to pick his new watch from but crossed out the yellow ones with the caption "Nope you may not choose this". :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Very smart. I just mounted the following strap to mine.

ynaby4ub.jpg3uhugy5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a really nice strap. I ordered an Orloff for mine, I toyed with the idea of the Rose Gold stitching, but I ended up getting Black to match the strap. Where did you get your strap? The maker did a great job of getting the stitch color right. I was worried that it might come out more yellowish or Orange than Rose Gold, and that wouldn't do at all, so I chickened out and got Black!

That's a really nice strap. I ordered an Orloff for mine, I toyed with the idea of the Rose Gold stitching, but I ended up getting Black to match the strap. Where did you get your strap? The maker did a great job of getting the stitch color right. I was worried that it might come out more yellowish or Orange than Rose Gold, and that wouldn't do at all, so I chickened out and got Black!

Thank you for the kind words. The strap is from Hamilton Leather.

All my straps are from him - great quality & customer service.

Here are two more from his work shop.

yta2uvan.jpg

y2ure7yp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BlackBetty

Thanks, I have a Black Shark with grey stitching on my V5 AP diver from Donerix. He's been around the forums for a long time, and he does very nice work at very reasonable prices. I sort of wish he would use inserts in the strap ends. Not sure how his will look over the long haul. I have to say, all of yours look great.