When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen GMT insert - estimated value

sputim

Here is a gen insert attached to a gen 16750, compare yours to this one.You need to be really careful when buying and insert, there are some really good aftermarket ones out there, and if someone skillfully ages it, it's hard to tell. I would only buy things like these from well known sellers, well established sellers on VRF, for instance or guys here that know what they have is genuine, and I would be really careful on EBay.

post-327-0-63048700-1394736665_thumb.jpg

+1

Look through the listings over on TRF and VRF where you know they are going to be legit.  Like has already been said, there are some very good aftermarket ones out there and maybe you could use one of those if you age it to your satisfaction?  Remember that most gen owners aren't WIS and could care less about these details.  If their insert somehow gets fouled up and they need a new one, the average Joe will balk at the price of a gen insert.  "You expect me to pay how much for a piece of tin?"  For the average Joe a good aftermarket insert is just fine.  After looking at enough vintage pieces it becomes quite evident that more and more people think along these same lines, especially when a good aftermarket option exists. There are frankens and cobbled together pieces all over the place. 

Just sayin'...

There were so many different style 1675/0 inserts that Rolex made/put on watches that comparing one to one gen example is not a good way to tell. I picked up and sold 3 gen vintage Pepsi's until i found one i really liked. Colours/shades/fades on pics on the internet rarely look the same in front of your face. It's a very personal thing. I just found a "perfect" one I'm now keeping and it cost me £100 from VRM. On the other hand I've seen one's on there costing more than 5X that which I think are poor and I don't like. What year watch you're trying to build also plays a big part as to what kind of insert font style, size, positioning etc you should aim for. Research on VRM archives is your best way to go then keep a look out for the type of insert you need. Anything with fat fonts is now going to silly prices, ditto strawberry and sky blue or similar *natural* fades.

Edit - Fwiw from the poor pic I'd say the one posted by OP is gen. The 2's look OK which is usually the easiest way to tell. Value about £100/$150.

Edited by TheBluePrince