When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problem with PO from TD

frost

About a month ago, I ordered an Omega Planet Ocean from a TD. Originally, I placed the order for the wrong model watch, and contacted the TD immediately to have the order updated. He was agreeable, and I sent him the difference in cost between the watch I ordered, and the upgraded version I didn't see at first. After a short time had passed, I began to notice things that weren't right. First, the AR coating came off nearly immediately. Next, I noticed the serial number was different than the number the website said it would be marked with. I was starting to suspect I was sent the cheaper model from my original order. I was nearly certain, so I purchased a tool to open the back of the watch, and I discovered that the movement was all gold, no insignia of any kind on the rotor when the website clearly stated and showed pictures that it was to be a Nickel-plated Swiss ETA 2824-2 with the Omega insignia engraved. When I contacted the TD, I was essentially blown off at first and told it was a "100% genuine ETA or money back" to which I replied "while that may or may not be, this is not what I ordered -- the watch on the page I ordered from is Nickel Plated with an Omega logo on the rotor, this is some kind of gold movement that does not resemble the pictures on your webpage at all." Now I'm being asked to ship it back to China on my dime so the TD can discuss what might have gone wrong with the factory (apparently pictures won't suffice). Please see that attached picture. I'm not trying to throw the TD under the bus, I'm just looking for some advice because I think it's ridiculous to have to pay to ship something back when I was sent the wrong item in the first place.

Edited by frost

How do you propose the TD fixes it, without you sending it back? I've never had an issue so I can't correlate, but if you want the TD to fix it, it seems logical you'd need to send it back. Ask the TD to credit you the shipping cost on a future order, maybe?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

I think what happens in this case is you send the watch back (which sucks plus risk of loss) and the TD fixes/replaces it and gives you a discount on your next purchase to compensate your re-shipping expense. Or the TD credits you back an agreed upon amount and you sell the watch on M2M hopefully without loss. It's much easier if you have a track record with said TD.

He's offering to send a replacement movement, but wants me to send the one I have back. Would it be more expensive to send my watch back to him (with all the associated risks with possible loss, or getting something back that's worse that I already have), or getting a rep friendly watch repair service to replace the movement, and ship the old one back to China?

I'm frustrated that I have to pay for all these things that are not my fault... especially considering the reputation of this TD.

Imo if the dealer makes a mistake he should be responsible for the costs of shipping it back. There are a lot of things the dealers are getting away with because of the illegitimate nature of the hobby, but it shouldn't be this way.

I wholeheartedly agree. It may not be the TD's fault entirely, as the "factory" is ultimately responsible for delivering goods that match the description they provided to the TD, however the TD is responsible to protect his customers. I picked up a second watch about two weeks after purchasing the PO from this dealer, and I have crown slipping issues on that one --- it just arrived on Tuesday of this week!

Starting to get very frustrated with the "hobby" as it were. I haven't brought this to his attention yet as I want to deal with one issue at a time, but thus far, I've been sent utter crap. If this does not work out, I'll obviously be writing up a full cautionary tale in the hopes of warning people from buying from this TD, perhaps even getting TD status revoked.