When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big Crown dial question

dbane883

How did the Rolex oompa loompas apply the lume plots  to the 6538 dials?  

Gilt circles and then a dab of lume that just touches the inside portion of the gilt circle?

Or was a base coat of white (or other) used first and then the lume applied on top of that?

I'm fairly certain it was the former, but need a conclusive answer.  tia

6538A-3.jpg

cc33, great pics of that dial.  One of the things I want to do, if I ever get around to starting my 6538 build, is I want to try to reproduce the lighter 6:00 marker that Rolex used to signify a radium dial.  I found some amazing shots online showing this.  They colored the lume for the 6:00 marker whiter, and that meant radium was used for the lume material.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Yep, black over gilt, lume over black. The "gilt" is actually the brass plate beneath showing through openings in the black.

That is precisely the way the water-slide decals I use work. Inkjet doesn't print white, so the lighter colors like the gold/gilt allow the dial brass to show through to a degree. The decals are sealed using a clear coat before they are wetted and applied.  

post-16926-0-71464800-1395943684_thumb.jpost-16926-0-22111600-1395943709_thumb.j

As it ages the 'gilt' look subsides to more of what we are used to seeing today. 

I didn't know about the white paint under the lume. That is very interesting. 

I tried making a red letter 6542 dial, but the red is raised on the genuine dial. It looked like garbage incorporating it into the decal, and I can't make those little letters with a paint brush! I did make the exclamation point dial for my 1675, and that was good. 

post-16926-0-87655100-1395945519_thumb.j