When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

servicing an eta mvt with datewheel overlay?

horologist

Hello to all,

I am taking on of my new Submariner Replica for a service to a watchmaker that is willing to do the service after having approached many others that refuse to work on replicas. 

My problem is that I am worried from a previous experience with another watchmaker on a different Sub replica that did a service but ended up damaging the wider datewheel and replaced it with the original thinner datewheel (that would normally come with the eta 2824/2836) which ended up looking very goofy and did not line up with the date window of the dial.  Worst still is that I could not even see the date in the date window. Ended up selling it for spare parts after this horrible experience.

I do not want a repeat of this on the new Submariner Replica?   Could anyone advise me  as to what I should suggest to the new watchmaker as to how I should avoid this same thing from happening as it is obviously a modified part of the mechanism?  My understanding is that the new wider datewheel is glued onto the mechanism, in being  the last operation to the assembly of the movement.  Any advice on would be greatly appreciated with many thanks in advance

What you are referring to is a date wheel overlay which is bonded to the actual date wheel.  I would either, inform/educate your watchmaker on its construction, and how you have to remove the, (different to removing a date wheel on its own), or send it to a watchmaker like myself who has experience with these. :)

What you are referring to is a date wheel overlay which is bonded to the actual date wheel.  I would either, inform/educate your watchmaker on its construction, and how you have to remove the, (different to removing a date wheel on its own), or send it to a watchmaker like myself who has experience with these. :)

+ 1. I've brought pieces to local watchmakers, but I feel like WAY more comfortable when sent to forum modder. Speaking the same 'language' is the obvious advantage here. 

My intentions have always been to have them serviced by those like yourself.  My only problem when I have sent watches for repairs overseas ( as I am not in Europe) are the headaches I have had with Customs and other authorities, especially when sending a genuine Omega for case restoration to Bob Ridely..  Logistics and warranty also present problems. 

As a result, my current feasible option would be to find a list of instructions which i have searched over and over in the past posts on this forum, without much success, which is why I have posted this question here. 

I am not a watchmaker and have limited experience with this, so I am trying to find the best option without making same mistake again.  Thank you so much for your offer.  

I understand completely.  Thats one of the reasons I try to only accept work from EU members, however, I have taken on repair/servicing from outside of EU, and had no problems with customs, that is providing the sender follows my instructions to the letter.  One guy failed to do so, and his package was held up at customs for two weeks, and caused me no end of grief to get it released.  

I understand completely.  Thats one of the reasons I try to only accept work from EU members, however, I have taken on repair/servicing from outside of EU, and had no problems with customs, that is providing the sender follows my instructions to the letter.  One guy failed to do so, and his package was held up at customs for two weeks, and caused me no end of grief to get it released.  

Much appreciated!!!.  My replica is a middle of the range which I bought from Silix. If it was a Frankenwatch or MBW, then I would take the risk of getting all the insurance and proper logistics which I intend to in future with more expensive models.

The other problem is if  a watch needs to be regulated after service, as some of my genuine watches that I have had serviced here locally.  I had a genuine automatic Speedmaster serviced by a reputable watchmaker in my city and I needed to return 3 or 4 times to get the timing right for an electronic regulation.  This poses another problem when bringing in a freshly serviced watch into a local watchmaker that has been serviced in another town.  Some will not touch it and will quote for a service of their own which one can understand as they are a business.    

Customs here are very touchy with watches.  For example, my understanding is that it is illegal to import a genuine Rolex in the US.  In UK they charge a VAT on almost anything,  In Australia, lets not even go there, they tax the air you breathe, known as a carbon tax.