When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pugwash's Iwc Aquatimer 2000m Review

Pugwash

I got my replica IWC Aquatimer 2000 from Precious Time in the UK. If you need one of these watches, and I can see why you would, drop him a line and tell him I sent you.

163873-11663.jpg

In 1997, IWC replaced the Ocean 2000 diver's watch with the GST Aquatimer 2000. It was slightly larger at 42mm diameter, even though it housed the same 2892 movement. At 14.5mm, it was also quite thick, but this was to be expected in a dive watch, especially one designed to withstand ther pressures that 2000m can force on a watch. Available in stainless steel and titanium, and possibly gold although I've never seen one, this was officially part of the GST line, hence Gold, Steel and Titanium. The unique design points were the screw-in crown that was robust even without crown guards and the bezel that required two points of force applied to the front before it would turn.

163873-11664.jpg

The replica, however, doesn't have the unusual bezel mechanism, settling for a more traditional one-way click system, much like the more familiar Rolex Submariner or the Omega Seamaster. The inked inner bezel is also of much lower quality than the original, but I'm working on colour-matching the paint from the original with a dark-grey acrylic paint.

163873-11665.jpg

The movement is equally different, housing an ETA 2824 instead of the more costly ETA 2892. This isn't really an issue as the 2824 is a solid and respected movement that's both cheap and reliable with spare parts available to any watchsmith with a wholesale account.

163873-11666.jpg

The main difference with the replica though, is the size. The replica is 3mm deficient in the diameter and xxmm thinner. While this obviously doesn't affect its useability as a watch, it may well signal it as a replica to the more observant of IWC fans. Unfortunately, there is no titanium replica available.

163873-11667.jpg

I feel I should also mention that the crystal could really do with an Anti-Reflective coating if this watch is to be your every day watch. While it is perfectly readable, it is slightly milky from certain angles.

163873-11668.jpg

This may seem like a negative review, and it does indeed read like this, however this is one hell of a watch. Most people wouldn't be familiar with IWCs, let alone discontinued models from the late twentieth century, so the chances of being called out on this are minimal. It's got a solid ETA movement, a superb case design and one of the best bracelets in the replica watch game. While the clasp is prone to looseness, I believe this is just on my model and is not a design flaw. I'll know more once I've taken my rat-tail file to the parts.

163873-11669.jpg

All in all, this replica watch was released very quietly and wasn't popular at all, due in part to the bezel printing and some misaligned 12 o'clock markers on the dial. However, I still think it's a decent watch and you should consider getting one as it's a much nicer design, in my opinion, than the Ingenieur.

pics are very good, as usual... I gotta say man, you have no life ;) j/k I guess the girl aint home or so... Nice review, though the watch is not my kind of thing :)

pics are very good, as usual... I gotta say man, you have no life ;) j/k I guess the girl aint home or so... Nice review, though the watch is not my kind of thing :)

Mrs Pugwash has just moved to Scotland to prepare our new house. I'm joining her in 2 weeks, so yes, I can either go out and paint the town red, spending money I don't have generally making a nuisance of myself or, I can stay at home and "play with my watches".

Having said that, tonight is off out for a few beers with some mates. :Jumpy:

ps. Next review: IWC Flieger Chrono ...

If you can put up with the inaccuracies, this rep does in fact rock. :1a:

The way I see it is that these are both inaccurate (with the case size, bezel functionality and colour etc) so why not get the one I like... Also, how many dark (black or blue) dial divers' watches do I need? I have multiple PAMs and Omegas and so on. :group:

Mrs Pugwash has just moved to Scotland to prepare our new house. I'm joining her in 2 weeks, so yes, I can either go out and paint the town red, spending money I don't have generally making a nuisance of myself or, I can stay at home and "play with my watches".

Having said that, tonight is off out for a few beers with some mates. :Jumpy:

ps. Next review: IWC Flieger Chrono ...

so you are completely moving to scotland? I thought you liked paris so much?

so you are completely moving to scotland? I thought you liked paris so much?

I'm moving to Scotland in April 2007. I still love Paris and I'd rather leave while I still love the city so I can come here on holiday. :D

Why move? Well, I'm buying a house and that's practically impossible here. Mrs Pugwash is Scottish and her massage practitioner license is only valid in the UK and she want to pursue that as a career instead of office work. I can work anywhere, so I don't mind at all.

• 1 month later...
Mrs Pugwash is Scottish and her massage practitioner license is only valid in the UK and she want to pursue that as a career

Ok that's too easy...

Are you ever coming by London?

Also, still enjoying this watch? Did you sort out the bezel? I haven't got it yet... :(

Are you ever coming by London?

Also, still enjoying this watch? Did you sort out the bezel? I haven't got it yet... :(

I'm not planning on visiting London in the near future, but I may pop over for a weekend if there's a GTG planned, as long as the EuroStar is cheap enough.

I do still enjoy this watch and I decided against fixing the bezel as it's fine. No-one else notices so I'm just wearing it as a fine piece of watch as opposed to an accurate Rep.

I'm not planning on visiting London in the near future, but I may pop over for a weekend if there's a GTG planned, as long as the EuroStar is cheap enough.

Oh yeah, didn't mean that.... once you move to Scotland, maybe it's easier (maybe even cheaper, though I doubt it) to get down here.