When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

H-factory SOSF problems

aarvidsson

I just received a lovely H factory Superocean Steelfish v2 from Toro, but the power reserve is, well, a bit of a disappointment. A bit of a disappointment on the scale of not keeping the watch running overnight. I tried winding some 60-70 revolutions and left it alone, and just 7 hours later it stopped. I read in the other thread that the movement seems to be a piece of junk, but since I don't have a Breitling caseback opener I can't even get to said movement to see if I can spot anything especially amiss. Does anyone have an idea of what to do? I suppose that if I send it back to Toro chances are that I'll just get another crap movement back and basically be where I'm at right now. Can anyone recommend a watchsmith who might be able to a) open the "#%#€ thing and b ) actually do something about it? It probably helps (and not) if I tell you I'm in Sweden.

Edited by aarvidsson

A running movement with a low power reserve normally means that it is badly oiled or dirty.  Tell me this .. when you wind the watch, is the action very smooth or is there a tangible buzzing sensation in your fingers?

If this watch comes standard with an A21j movement, then you will pay roughly $24 USD to buy a new one. It is not worth servicing when the price of a new piece is so low.

Hm... There is a tangible buzzing sensation when you mention it, and to add insult to injury it would seem that the mechanism does not wind(!) when winding using the crown. The automatic movement seems to be fine.

The movement seems to be a H-factory crapspecial, according to other threads. A "clone" of a 2836-2 is that it is sold as, but that, according to other members, is a bit ... creative. I'd happily swap it out for some other movement, as soon as I come to grips with what actually would fit. I'm still too new at this to have found my way out of the woods just yet.

Hm... There is a tangible buzzing sensation when you mention it, and to add insult to injury it would seem that the mechanism does not wind(!) when winding using the crown. The automatic movement seems to be fine.

The movement seems to be a H-factory crapspecial, according to other threads. A "clone" of a 2836-2 is that it is sold as, but that, according to other members, is a bit ... creative. I'd happily swap it out for some other movement, as soon as I come to grips with what actually would fit. I'm still too new at this to have found my way out of the woods just yet.

The ETA clone and the A21j are completely different animals. You're looking at somewhere north of $100 to replace the clone if that is what you have. You'll have to verify what's inside before I can give you any more advice.

As I recall those come w/ the clone or Swiss Jkay, most likely the clone have never seen a 21j model.

Oh Toro then this one

BR Steelfish New Breed, Asian 2836-2 H Factory 

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/150352-br-steelfish-new-breed-asian-2836-2-h-factory-288-special-offer/

Yep, I think that's the one. Too bad Toro claims that "It high quality movement , we already sold out so many pieces ." and that's that. I have the option of returning it for a refund but I would get the same crap movement back. So now I'm trying to find out what parts from the SOSF will fit on a clone of a 2836-2 it and what parts won't :) I really like the watch itself, so this will probably be my first franken-thingy.

Can anyone recommend a watchsmith who might be able to a) open the "#%#€ thing and b ) actually do something about it? It probably helps (and not) if I tell you I'm in Sweden.

You can pm member SSTEEL .

He is a watchsmith  based in Finland and can help you for the best solution.

• Like 1

Hi, contact SSteel should be fine. Should be possible to drop in TC´s clone movement he sells it separate for $125 I think. If that works (or something else) would be great to know, also have the Steelfish.