When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

problems with Clark's hand set

few ago, got a Valjoux 72 from a guy on VRM, it was a  Jules Jurgens watch from 60 or 70.

Perfectly overhauled, working and so 1250 €.

So, had everything ready, a case from a guy on VRM too, he didn't tell me where the case has been made, but, look like Phong, quality is more than high, the SS is so good, and the shape more than gorgeous, the price not very much, 600 € " just the mid case"  he just got the mid case, had the pushers from ofrei, t 25-21 original bevelled one, Gen 703 crown and tube, Darija's and NY guy bezel ( 6263 ) ten 78350, restamped old Singer PN dial, got in Switzerland and so on, just hand set left.

So decided to buy Clark's x V72, the surprise was when ferorain tried to put it, all of them perfect less than the second one, he said too small….

How it is possible?, Did anyone get the same problem?

Asked the guy who sold me the movement, and he said impossible, that should fit.

Any idea, or must to buy hand set from Phong?

Cheers 

Many aftmkt hands (and some oem hands) will need to be broached to fit, that's a fact of life. The last four sets of ST hands made for a 1530 rolex had to be broached (one for 1603 DJ, three for 5513). I do not look at it as a defect just an aggravation to be tended to.

I use a diamond broach on the H and M hands then follow with a smoothing broach (no flutes) and use a home made .2mm broach on the second hand. The diamond broach is quick and dirty but less likely to catch in the hole and bend a hand. I hold the hands in Saran Wrap to keep finger prints off and also use Saran Wrap between the hands and hand press when mounting them to prevent scratches. You must be careful when covering the hands with SR because it is slick and the hand tool can slip off and whack the dial. For this reason, I always fit the hands to a movement with a spare dial plate or rough dial so r/r the hands a few times will not damage the dial to be used on the watch.

My second hand broaches are made from needles or pins stuck in a wooden dowel and I just run the ends across a diamond hone in four steps to make four flats to create cutting flutes, then try the 'broach' in a spare hand and see if it is the right size. It is hit or miss and I usually have quite a few home made broaches of various sizes. Be careful not to cut the rivet away from inside the tube with a broach that is too long.

If you cut an H or M hand too big you are usually out of luck unless you do not need to tighten it very much and can get by with maybe putting 3 or 4 dimples with a sharp screwdriver etc on the bottom of the hand to create some friction.

Second hands can be tightened up in a small pin vise, lathe collet, or by putting a crimp or two in the tube with pinching tweezers or...fingernail clippers!

Many 'old timer' watch fixers used fingernail clippers to tighten canon pinions. I use a Bergeon 2803 most of the time but it is basically a fancy toenail clipper.  :pimp: