When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a 16800 Trans sub, advice needed

Pseudonym

Hi there.

I'm looking to build a 16800 matte dial Trans sub. I've got various irons in the fire & really need to narrow down the route I need to take.

So far I have 3 paths I can take:

1: try & locate an ST3035 and build from there. If anyone has one they are not using, please let me know.

2: buy/locate a 1680 donor rep & replace almost all parts except mid case (although will require modification) & bracelet (501b endlinks aside). Questions arise to the suitability of this as I am unsure if a gen dial will fit, if a more accurate 16610 style case back will fit, if the DW on the 2846 will interchange with 2836.

3: buy/locate 16610 case with lug holes & build from this- modifying as required.

Any help would be appreciated, particularly from those who have completed similar builds

Thanks

P.

• 2 weeks later...

Option #3 is your best bet.

ST3035 case isn't around anymore as I understand.

1680 case won't take a 27.3mm 16800/16610 dial.

16610 case has deeper rehaut, but there are a bunch of similarities between 16610 and 16800

same bezel aassembly and insert can be used

same dial

same crystal

same crown and tube

both used the same bracelet- 93150 until 2000 or so when the 93250 came out

Thanks for the info.

I went with option 3 in the end. Well, almost...

Parts I have:

ST3135 lug hole case

New Y3135

Y3135 hands

Gen 703 crown

Gen 7030 tub

Gen fat font 16800 insert

Gen 16800 matte dial

93150 rep bracelet & clasp with diver extension

WSO 501b brushed endlinks.

The ST3135 also comes with ST bezel assembly & crystal.

Should I consider replacing these?

I've enlisted the services of a modder to reshape the case etc & assemble.

Edited by Pseudonym

I'm finishing some homework at the library now, will chime in more detail later. If you're patient enough you can wait for an ST3035 case to show up on the sales threads. You can start with the ST3135 to get the "package" built and wearable. Then you can modify the st3035 case to accept the 3136 movement. Gen parts all fit the ST cases. The case still need a little massaging to make them better than great.

E

I have a similar build but the movement will need service. I added a full gen auto wind assembly and a few other gen pieces, but the finished product is wonderful

Yeah I have that lined up pretty much. Will also be looking to install a gen DW.

I contacted a custom watchmaker who declined my business to repaint a DW with correct open font as per gen... Search continues in the meantime.

P.

Yeah I have that lined up pretty much. Will also be looking to install a gen DW.

I contacted a custom watchmaker who declined my business to repaint a DW with correct open font as per gen... Search continues in the meantime.

P.

Gen date disc is the only option if you wan the correct serifs. I have tried the WSO and the ST units and the yuki stock unit has better print(if you're lucky to get the semi correct one).

service the yuki3135 and replace to weak parts with swiss and gen parts and you will have a winner capable of gen performance and reliablility...

Thanks for the info.

Can you be more specific? Having little experience with the Y3135, what are the common weak points?

Truth be told, I may have to wait to add gen parts to the movement as finances are becoming tighter on this build. I've spent considerably more than I intended & the project is really nothing more than a collection of parts. In time I think I'll assemble parts then have the movement reserviced to include.

Thanks

P.