When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This might be nit-picky, but...

jmb

One thing I've noticed between rep and gen cases is the "smoothness" when screwing the case-back onto the case.  The case-back on Gen cases I've dealt with (maybe because they are old) usually feel as smooth as silk when screwing down while a lot of (most) feel a bit rough.  I know, you can't see it and nobody is going to call you out for it but if you occasionally get into your case you would probably appreciate smooth threads.

I grabbed a DJ case, screwed a back on it and it felt just a bit rough (screwed down fine) so I removed it, painted on some very fine polishing compound (S100 I got from a MC dealer) and screwed the case on and off many times.  What this does is lap the case-back threads to the internal case threads and removes microscopic "high spots" which result in the rough feeling.  After lapping I scrubbed the case and back thoroughly and now the case-back screws down with an almost Gen like feel.

I feel better now...

Those being "reproduction" replacement cases?

Phong, Yuki, HH..... Gen movements do not smoothly fit when "spinning" them into place. Usually the fit is very very tight compared to gen. The milling of the grooves is usually quite poor.

An exception might be the 3035 and 3135 cases from Star T1M3.