When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What loupe(s) are you using?

fitmic

The power of the loupe is one thing and focus length is another. Case and bracelet assembly/repair usually needs about 200mm (8 inches or so) space between the object and loupe so a lower power magnifier will work fine (3x, 5x or so). For regular movement work (inspection/disassembly/assembly) you will usually need a loupe/headset that will allow you to work up close (around 100/200mm/4 to 8 inches) something around 7x or so.

Oiling, balance/hairspring work needs a magnifier that will allow you to get close...50 to 100mm (2 to 4 inches) and this is usually something like 10x to 15x. 

Loupes are often mislabeled and many of the cheaper '10x' loupes you see are really 5x or 7x.

Many '10x' and above loupes are hard to focus because of poor optics and blurred except for a very small area in the center. They are virtually useless.

Many times I have to look at something with my 20x Bulova Accutron scope to see exactly what is going on and then work on it with a 10x loupe under bright light.

I have a 15x 'telescope' loupe for close examination but it is hard to do any work using it because you have to get so close to keep it in focus.

You can't fix it if you can't see it.    :pimp:

fitmic:

Most of the time I use a single 25.5mm Behr clip-on loupe on a pair of high quality 3.5 strength reading glasses. The loupe has a single lens and folds out of the way when not needed while the high power reading glasses are good for case and bracelet work. I have tried regular 'tube' loupes on headbands but when you look for a part, tool etc, going from a 5x or 7x loupe to the naked eye makes things too much out of focus. This is why I use a clip on loupe on reading glasses...when you do not need the loupe to see something up close on the work space, you still have the magnification of the reading glasses and do not have to back away from the work in order to find screws etc. 

I also have a 25.5mm Behr two lens clip-on loupe and do not use it much because it is a hassle to separate the magnifiers when folding one down. Have a smaller 16.25mm 10x Behr clip-on loupe that is smaller than normal and has very good optics but it is hard to work with because you have to be very still to keep in focus. I use a 10x Bausch and Lomb tube loupe on a spring headband now and then for inspection but it is distorted a little except for right in the center. It is not a high priced loupe and I am sure B&L has better loupes.

What is surprising is how good some of the cheapo no name loupes are. I buy one now and then for a dollar or two and many of them turn out to be very good. I asked an eye doctor about using cheap magnifiers and he said your eyes would let you know if there was any undue eye strain. He also said that working under magnification would not harm your eyes if you use a bit of common sense and rest your eyes now and then.

He said to practice the 20/20/20 rule...look at something at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes to allow your eyes to rest.  :shock: