When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap Makers that make Belts?

dharmaskibum

Tried a search, but everything I've found seems to reference rep belts.  I'm not really looking for a rep; just a very high quality, thick, premium, leather belt.  Something rugged and vintage with a solid buckle to wear with jeans or chinos.  Like if Gunny or Migliorestraps made belts.  Any suggestions?

On a budget maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camel-Active-Mens-Leather-Brown/dp/B002V920AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401767466&sr=8-1&keywords=camel+active+leather+belt

Otherwise You´re lucky if living in Conus for a huge selection of vintage and leather belts

Thanks for the suggestions.  Kaufmann's belts are gorgeous, and exactly what I was looking for.  You're not kidding that it'll cost me though.  I guess that makes sense from a sq ft perspective compared to a quality strap. 

Zach's Facebook page had a post that he's no longer doing belts due to not being able to source buckles.  I emailed him though to see if that changed. 

Nightwatch:  Do you have any experience with that particular brand or seller?  There is stuff like that all over Amazon and eBay, but the quality is so hit and miss.  That's why I was thinking of a strap maker whose high quality leather is a known commodity. 

• 2 months later...

i am having 2 belts made as we speak to match my straps.

they are made by julien landa.

if you are ok with the fact that the belt will be stitched on a machine instead of by hand the price is reasonable .

one belt will look exact like the strap on my 382 bronzo. (kind of a though look )

post-5858-0-53093700-1409226844_thumb.jp

Amazing!!!!

How much is he asking for one of these belts?

actually i traded the belts + straps for a 382 bronzo by kw ,since he- himself is a panaristi, but when i told him i would place pics here on the forum and expected this question to come about  he told me he could offer a watchstrap (in the size you want ) + matching belt for 425$ or 325 euros shipping included.

(i send him a belt of me and asked him to size it the same in lenght and also the same as where the holes are )

by the way: i ordered pam style belt buckles in the usa at gregstevensdesign for 30$ . check fotos. the belts are made in a way that changing the buckle is easy to do.

considering landa asks 175 for a watchstrap i think the additional 250 for the belt is fair since all is handmade.

post-5858-0-21872300-1409927097_thumb.jp

post-5858-0-13538200-1409927105_thumb.jp

• 8 months later...

Making a belt from a belt blank is really easy. This is full grain 1st grade cow hide, veg tanned. It's just a basic "cowboy" style belt (a real belt), but I can't see making any belt being much more difficult. Veg tan comes ballet shoe pink, but ages to a dark brown with use. Ageing can be accelerated by applying cow fat and olive oil and leaving the leather in the sun. Won't cost you any more than $30. Skiving the buckle end is as difficult as it gets. It's funy to see people who can disassemble watches being intimidated by simple leatherwork.

002-34.jpg

004-37.jpg

011-13.jpg

007-20.jpg