When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVD black coated: any experience?

GenTLe

HI Gens,

one of the (unfortunately for my wallet) many watches I felt in love is this beauty here:

gmt_blue_3.jpg

I'm a bit scared of the resistance of this finiture and on the movement (Nickle Plated Eta 2836-2 Modified to Rolex Calibre 3187).

Can, someone that have a good wrist time with a PVD coated watch (doesn't matter if a Pam, and IWC, etc), comment on the durability, resistance to scratches etc of this finiture?

And, does anyone have experience with this Nickle Plated Eta 2836-2 Modified to Rolex Calibre 3187 movement? 

Tnx! GenTLe

Pulled the trigger :-)

Let's hope tjat, as indicated, I will NOT get one of those bloody "new breed asian clone of the clone"!. Also ordered from UK (eBay) a black nato strap because the main problem with the PVD ones is the PVD black bracelet: I can imagine how quickly I can damage it working at my desk in the office...

Let's hope I'll not get "burned" this time...

blue_1.jpg

Hi, used the PVD Piccard DSSD on PVD bracelet quite roughly and it doesn´t have a scratch. This holds much better than polished SS or gold-plating with those I´m always much, really much more careful. PVD is well done and fine. Also found that black Rolexes fly much easier under the radar. People just don´t expect it - goes as "another black watch". Yours looks sharp with that nice blue.

Gosh, Andrew is incredible...

Pulled the trigged yesterday (Friday) at around 10.30PM.

Sent further mail telling him "please please please check it will not come with one of those bad new breed asian clone of the clone"

Got reply at 2.xx AM

This morning re-replied to him and got reply within 10 minutes.

Then, at 5.35 PM (SATURDAY) I got QC pictures...

Accepted them telling also "Man, you should take some rest/relax, it's Saturday, I could have waited 'till Monday! :)"

And here some nice pic:

post-63910-0-51186900-1403373884_thumb.j

post-63910-0-89750900-1403373885_thumb.j

post-63910-0-36100600-1403373887_thumb.j

Very cool watch.  I prefer DLC (Diamond Like Coating) to PVD, but seems a lot harder to find, especially on reps.

Hi Vega,

I think you're confusing the material with the method.

PVD stands for Physical Vapor Deposition

DLC stands for “Diamond like carbon” and is a type of PVD applied coating

Therefore DLC is applied with PVD.

But a PVD treated object could use a different material for the treatment.

Ciao, GenTLe

I don't want to p1ss on your parade, but two out of two PVD coated watches I own got scratched.

One of the the first day I wore it.

Don't think I abuse my watches, because I don't.

I somewhat hope that it was the early (~8 yeard ago) PVD coated watches, was just painted black. Instead of my bad luck. ;)

Watch arrived and already on my wrist.

Very nice one, PVD looks very good and resistant and the only flaws are:

• the bezel that is 24 clicks unidirectional while the gen is 24 clicks bidirectional
  • the GMT hand is a little misaligned, meaning that when the watch marks 12 'o clock, the GMT hand marks x.10min (but this will be fixed during movement servicing)

Funny (and good) thing: I ordered the model with "Asian Eta 2836-2 Modified to Rolex Calibre 3187 Markings and Bridges". Yesterday I opened it to check for the movement and I've found inside an original Swiss Eta movement! :D

And I'm pretty sure of that: the stamping on the rotor, the "moon shaped" cut under the balance... Everything looks gen (and in need of servicing) :D 

Nice looking watch. My only experience with PVD was a genuine Chronosport UDT that I bought back in the early 1980's. I wore that watch for probably 15 years, no telling how many Scuba trips, working in the yard, on the farm, and it held up really well. I did wear out the original bracelet, but that watch went through Hell and back. If yours is half as tough as that one, you will get years of use from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk