When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Sub C Springbars | Closer look

dbane883

Despite the fact that I despise removing non-lughole bracelets bars, I decided to have a better look at the type of bars used in my 114060.

Not surprisingly, the endlinks are drilled for 2mm bars, but the ends of the bars are not what I expected. Typically non lugholes Rolexes have 0.9-1.0 mm spring bar tips (the portion that go into the recessed holes).

But these sub c bars are much beefier. The tips are 1.2 mm; same OD as the "vintage" spring bar tips. Pics for illustration and comparison:

3uqubypy.jpg

za6esejy.jpg

nuqetypa.jpg

When reinstalling, it's always a good idea to use tape on the lugs to prevent scratching.

3e3asany.jpg

Wow!  That is a good bit thicker.  I measured the typical ones that I have and they are about .88mm.  You should try the bergeon 6825 spring bar tool.  It isn't cheap but I did notice cheaper versions on eBay.  It compresses both sides at the same time and allows you to place the entire bracelet on the case at one time.  It takes a little getting used to but works great.  Just make sure you get the fine forks for it, otherwise you will have to file them down to fit the slot in the bracelet.

Besides the aggravation to r/r the bracelets, one other problem I have seen on later models with 'blind' lug holes is when using a strap the spring bars get pulled out of the lugs, especially with rubber straps.

When the spring bar pops out...the watch hits the pavement.

I have a noob greenie on a rubber strap and it has this problem. I drilled the holes out a little bit deeper so the spring bars would go in all the way to the shoulder but no luck, it still pops off now and then when using a rubber strap. I am using ST 'swiss' oem type spring bars made for later submariners and they have good spring tension.

The strap is a full 20mm wide and a fairly tight fit but it levers the spring bar out anyway. It might be better to wear the watch loose but I do not like them flopping around like a tennis shoe in a washing machine.