When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Classic SD16600 build. Pic heavy.

Ticktick

Just finished a new build. I thought I would show you some pics of this piece due to the fact that classic 16600 is still very popular. It's one of my favourite Rolex models.

I had a look at tons of SD's on the bay. And I was able to get a Noob SSD from a fellow member here. So I planned and finished some mods on this watch.

My build could be a real 16600P (2000-2001) with lugholes. One of the earlier watches with superluminova (since1998). Maybe there was a service in 2006 and a new bracelet with SELs for non lughole watches was mounted (OP10 clasp code dates out Oct/2006). So it has still stock dial and hands. Markers got a slight vanilla cream colour over the years and the lume isn't very strong nowadays.

Specs:

SSD V2 with gen eta 2836

WSO tube

Noob crown

CG's shaved

Case bored out on a lathe

Gen spec WSO crystal with gen spec gasket

New separate custom rehaut manufactured

Watch can take gen crystal assembly

Lugholes drilled

Bracelet heavily overworked and refinished

SELs spacered with thin metal sheets between the lugs to achieve a very strong fit without any visible gaps

SELs drilled to 2,1mm

TC springbars (2mm)

WSO insert and pearl with epoxy cover

Bezel teeth reworked with needle file and polished

Bezel chamfer reworked on lathe

Dial markers covered with matte varnish

Gen Rolex diver extension with black screw

Weight 140,5g (gen is about 147,5g)

Enough story and dreams now...on to the pics. Please excuse smudge or anything else on the watch. I wear it every day now!

All pics iPhone 4S.

yge9y6y6.jpg

duza4aqy.jpg

6ysa4abe.jpg

u3yqepyq.jpg

atygevup.jpg

su4arusu.jpg

pagabuhu.jpg

zudebe6y.jpg

egy9unuv.jpg

maza4aju.jpg

ujajyby4.jpg

a3a4ytat.jpg

sy7apuby.jpg

6edypane.jpg

aja2y5a6.jpg

4u9ypyre.jpg

avyhasah.jpg

Cheers

Andi

@matt74: I covered only the markers because gens doesn't have glossy lume. Movement, DWO, hands and dial are stock noob assembly.

@dbane: My construction is exactly gen like. Rehaut, crystal and gasket have to be preassembled and pressed in together into the case as one unit.

Cheers

Andi

@Deokhoon Jun: SEL position is a pain in the ass. Very difficult to change because the manufacturer already produced this flaw. Unfortunately this watch does not take other SEL's. I tried TC93160, TC93250 and BP SD. All of them are sitting totally wrong or have got big gaps. So I had only the chance to use Noob stock SEL's.

Cheers

Andi

I didn't try the newest TC93250. There's also another problem. SD hasn't got the same endlinks like Sub. They are different, especially on the underside. Bracelet differs, too. Not only shiny sides on SD...there is a full link near the clasp on the 6 o'clock side instead a half link.

Cheers

Andi

I didn't try the newest TC93250. There's also another problem. SD hasn't got the same endlinks like Sub. They are different, especially on the underside. Bracelet differs, too. Not only shiny sides on SD...there is a full link near the clasp on the 6 o'clock side instead a half link.

Cheers

Andi

hey buddy, you can just use a SD claps with the last full link on the 6 o`clock side. Just use only mid link of tc 93250. Why not?