When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fading rolex insert's

F.Castro

i think gen inserts only bleach after 30 years of 'honest' use, i. e. take a long holiday with a lot of sun, salt-water and beer.

at least i never succeeded with several tries, not even with salt acid, only with 'mechanical' impact, but this you can easily see at the edges.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

i think gen inserts only bleach after 30 years of 'honest' use, i. e. take a long holiday with a lot of sun, salt-water and beer.

at least i never succeeded with several tries, not even with salt acid, only with 'mechanical' impact, but this you can easily see at the edges.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Hahah, good one mate!

And i think you are right!

And the bigest problem is the edges just like you said.

Cheers

The insert from my 1968 Sub is slightly faded to a dark slate grey-blue, and it's had a ton of hard outdoors use, tons of salt water, tons of abuse.

The insert on my 1971 Sea-dweller isn't faded a bit, and it's been on hundreds of dives all over the world.

These things are tough!

I found through experience and looking at many different inserts, that for the most part, Naturally faded inserts still retain their original luster and the fading is uniform and even.

Artificially faded inserts are for the most part, dull, lacking in luster and have splotchy or uneven fading (fading in the inner most or outermost)

I'm sure there are people out there who are really really good at fading inserts that can even trick the experts.  

Naturally faded Fat Font Gen insert:
00natfade.jpg

Artificially faded Fat Font Gen Insert:
00artfade.jpg

Here's a thought I have had for a while.  Please correct me if I am wrong about this theory.

Let's say a watch is from 1968 and the owner wears it regularly.  Some days he will be out in the sun all day long, but during this time the watch will be moving and not always in the direct, full sun.  That means your arm is also exposed just sitting there.  Other days it will be shady, or the owner could be inside and it won't be exposed to sun at all.  

So over the course of 46 years, how many actual hours of full on, direct blazing/torching sun has this insert actually had?  I bet not many.  Most of the exposure is probably angled.

What if you take the same insert, but put it on a wooden block or something that won't blow away, and place it out on your deck?  Now the insert will be fully exposed, and directly exposed for continuous sun 12 hours a day or whatever the case may be, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  

My guess is you can achieve more fading over the course of 12 months using nonstop direct exposure than you can over decades of occasional, indirect exposure.

Here's a thought I have had for a while. Please correct me if I am wrong about this theory.

Let's say a watch is from 1968 and the owner wears it regularly. Some days he will be out in the sun all day long, but during this time the watch will be moving and not always in the direct, full sun. That means your arm is also exposed just sitting there. Other days it will be shady, or the owner could be inside and it won't be exposed to sun at all.

So over the course of 46 years, how many actual hours of full on, direct blazing/torching sun has this insert actually had? I bet not many. Most of the exposure is probably angled.

What if you take the same insert, but put it on a wooden block or something that won't blow away, and place it out on your deck? Now the insert will be fully exposed, and directly exposed for continuous sun 12 hours a day or whatever the case may be, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

My guess is you can achieve more fading over the course of 12 months using nonstop direct exposure than you can over decades of occasional, indirect exposure.

Yes you are correct, if you let it hang out 365days in all kind of weather it will fade faster. Best place to fade a insert normaly would be if you lived near the sea, so the salty winds and sun could get the best of it.

I Actually like it . Good Job

Me to ;)