When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You'll never know what you might find in the parts box

Tiyal

While working on a basket case 1680 this morning something unexpected was created.

The 1680 case had very bad things done to it mostly with large drill bits. No matter how much I tried to salvage the project it was a loss when the epoxied (yes, I said I'd done bad things) tube came out.

For some reason I pushed a clark  tropic 39 from that project into a random case thats been in the box for years. IT SNAPPED RIGHT IN?? so then I went through all my inserts and found a ceramic that fit as well. After that it was tap the case to 3x.35 instal a tube and case the movement. The dial was a little to big so I attached it to a drill and spun against some 600 grit (dont try this at home, note ring below hand stack)  how ever perfect fit.

Self lumed, Gen crown, Miyota, clark 39 and tube.

Out of the Jaws of Defeat the unexpected will happen

Enjoy

post-11567-0-44883300-1405054514_thumb.j

post-11567-0-50200000-1405054523_thumb.j

post-11567-0-09915700-1405054530_thumb.j

post-11567-0-48412800-1405054538_thumb.j

Edited by Tiyal

Don't think I've ever ran across an M3x.35 thread repair insert before.  When I have worked on cases with a messed up tube hole I've JB-Welded the tube in.  If it was a high-dollar case I might be inclined to drill and thread larger, epoxy in a "plug", then drill and tap it to correct size.

• Like 1