When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aftermarket 5513 Bezels

ww12345

Anybody used these? I know Clarks used to carry some (though I didn't see any in his store at the moment) and Mr Slimeball in TX, but anybody use either of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bezel-Combo-Set-for-Fit-Rolex-Old-Submariner-Black-Silver-5513-/290738599092?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b15ef4b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Rotating-Bezel-W-Retainer-Insert-For-Rolex-5513-1680-Black-/111398427326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19efdd1abe

Barring either of these, which is the least likely to cause any problems? I know the saying with reps - that there are no guarantees as to parts fitting - but are there some bezels that will cause less trouble than others?

I agree...it's better to buy the complete set rather than parts and hope they fit.

The 'watchman408' set on eBay looks like it might have a matte finish like Clark and ST bezel sets. If so, it is probably the same set and I have had good luck with them.

Even when the crystal retainer bezels are oem spec, the differences in case neck od and crystal skirt thickness of aftmkt parts can make fitting it all together a hassle. You need to install the crystal on the case, then measure the od of the crystal with a digital caliper and compare it with the id of the crystal retainer bezel before trying to press the retainer bezel down over the crystal. If it is much more than .1mm difference you may crack the crystal skirt.

Catch 22...this depends on if the crystal is loose or tight on the case neck. Loose needs a tighter fit between the mounted crystal and retainer bezel so it will squeeze the crystal down on the case neck. There is not much of a fix for a retainer bezel that is too loose on the crystal, you will need to find a crystal with a thicker skirt.

It might take three crystals...

One to sacrifice when fitting/removing etc.

One to use on the watch.

One for a spare...because the next batch of crystals may not be made to the same specs.  

One tip that can help to fit the retaining ring, is to put the mid-case with fitted crystal in the freezer, and the retaining ring in the oven, on a low heat, for a few minutes. This will contract the crystal and mid-case, and expand the retaining ring enough to ease fitment.