When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

tonyp1

Uhh... Andrew is a great dealer and he doesn't sell bad watches. But I'd pass that one. It's not a bad watch but...

Get the WM/MBW if you want a decent 1680... there's no competition.

You can buy those from George... or from fellow members.

They might be harder to get... bit it still doesn't make any sense to buy a sub-par rep which wouldn't satisfy your needs in the long run.

What is this watch a MBW or CN ? It claims to have perfect magnification. I know the crown guards are incorrect. Can anyone comment on this watch?

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=562

That's a CN Vintage. It's not nearly the watch the MBW is -- and not nearly the cost.

On the other hand, I'd not be too quick to turn up my nose. While everyone talks about the MBW (I have bought about a dozen), that watch can be modded too, and it WILL take OE Replacement Parts, contrary to popular belief.

It's simple. The OE Bezel assembly press fits to the crystal, therefore a factory Rolex Bezel Assembly will fit on any watch having a crystal with the same Outside Diameter as the Gen. Here are a few vintages and here is what I did with a watch I got from Andrew.

post-223-1165824153_thumb.jpg

post-223-1165824257_thumb.jpg

post-223-1165824322_thumb.jpg

post-223-1165824348_thumb.jpg

The thing I find amazing is that nobody seems to have spent much time trying to mod the vintage subs made in China. To me, that is the obvious place to start practicing.

Bill

post-223-1165824345_thumb.jpg

TJGladeRaider, have you tried to mod the 1680 CN? Will say a $120 dollar gen Rolex crystal install directly?

I've Looked at MBW and it seems like the 1680 now if it were to trade hands would go for something $600 to $700 am I correct?

Wow -- I would say that would be a lot for an MBW. You can buy them from George new for a lot less than that.

I have modded CN COMEX, 1680, 5513, 1665 and I think they are a very nice watch for what they cost, and frankly, I think most people would be better served by buying the CN watch to mod than buying an MBW to mod - although the MBW is definitely the better watch.

Either way, you get a Swiss movement and once you file down the CG's, the CN is a good looking watch.

The problem with the CNs is the bezel assembly is not like the gen, whereas the MBW is identical.

I any event, if you are going to practice on something, I suggest you practice on CNs until you are comfortable with that and then try it on an MBW.

As for the Rolex crystals, I never bought one. I use aftermarket replacements, but they fit the CN just fine.

If you are going to be wearing vintages, it is nice to have some extra crystals around - they scuff up ridiculously easy.

Bill